Archive for October 2013

[ecrea] XII MAGIS – Gorizia International Film Studies Spring School

Mon Oct 21 14:38:24 GMT 2013

XII MAGIS – Gorizia International Film Studies Spring School
POSTCINEMA SECTION
Gorizia (Italy), April 5-11, 2014

CALL FOR PAPERS
The Border Within – Human body in Contemporary Media

“Postcinema, videogames and animation” section aims at investigating
body's contemporary condition in the realm of new media such as
videogames or internet. It also aims at analysing the body in the
realm of those old visual media like cinema which are influenced by
the postmedial condition, with specific attention to innovations
generated by technological shifts. Our main interest lies in the
increasing attention on the human body as theoretical focus and
constant reference to authors or frameworks in the past and
contemporary theory (Deleuze, Foucault, Merleau-Ponty, embodiement,
post-humanism, IA, Gender Theories). Our main focus is the constant
transformation process the concept of human body is going through
within the realm of contemporary media products. We would like to
explore the borders of human body as it lies on the verge of opposite
conceptual poles- life and death, real and false, technology and
flesh, organic and not organic, human and cyborg, human and animal.
Our interest lies: 1) in the investigation of medial body as connected
to those visual artists interested in the body's concept 2) in the
central role of the body for video gaming culture 3) in the process of
embodiment implied by motion controllers and sensors such as Move,
Kinect or Wiimote as well as in the diverse body representations and
transformation within different games 4) the different ways in which
body and its transformations are captured in television-series, i.e.
the change faced by the actors in the different seasons, chapters,
sequels of a movie 5) the transformation of the characters's bodies
due to medical treatment, techno-scientific process or forms of
contagion. We are also interested in the link to genres to the
“postcinematic or postmedial” condition such as the trans-media and
interactive documentaries, mockumentaries, web-documentaries,
web-series or web fictions, sci-fi, new-horror and fantasy as well as
all representations of the body conveyed by social media and media
internet happenings.

Deadline for paper proposals: November 10, 2013
Proposals should not exceed one page in length
A short CV (10 lines max.) should be sent together with the paper proposal.
Submit proposals to: (gospringschool /at/ gmail.com)
http://www.filmforumfestival.it/