Archive for October 2012

[ecrea] New ECREA book "Citizens Voices" published

Fri Oct 05 17:15:29 GMT 2012

ECREA is happy to announce the publication of "Citizen Voices. Performing Public Participation in Science and Environment Communication", edited by Louise Phillips, Anabela Carvalho and Julie Doyle.

This book deals with the following questions: How is 'participation' ascribed meaning and practiced in science and environment communication? And how are citizen voices articulated, invoked, heard, marginalized or silenced in those processes? Citizen Voices takes its starting point in the so-called dialogic or participatory turn in scientific and environmental governance in which practices claiming to be based on principles of participation, dialogue and citizen involvement have proliferated. The book goes beyond the buzzword of 'participation' in order to give empirically rich, theoretically informed and critical accounts of how citizen participation is understood and enacted in mass mediation and public engagement practices. A diverse series of studies across Europe and the US are presented, providing readers with empirical insights into the articulation of citizen voices in different national, cultural and institutional contexts. Building bridges across media and communication studies, science and technology studies, environmental studies and urban planning studies, Citizen Voices also offers a range of different theories and research methodologies which foreground the role of communication processes in scientific and environmental governance.

> More information from the Intellect book webpage > http://www.intellectbooks.co.uk/books/view-Book,id=4937/

A copy of this book has been shipped to our second year individual members, and to the coordinators of our associated and institutional members. By sending 729 copies of this book to ECREA's core membership, the organisation not only wants to express its appreciation for these members' continued support, but ECREA also wants to maximise this publication's audience and circulation. ECREA considers the investment in the Book Series as an important contribution to one of its main objectives, which is to stimulate European communication and media studies research.

The ECREA Book Series @ Intellect, and the new Routledge Studies in European Communication Research and Education Series aim to offer a structural publication opportunities for ECREA members, as (according to our publication guidelines) at least half of the authors and one of the editors needs to be an ECREA member. So far this approach has worked well, as is evidenced not only by this publication, but also by our extensive list of publications.