Archive for October 2011

[ecrea] Special Section on "Communication as the Discipline of the 21st Century

Wed Oct 26 09:10:16 GMT 2011

IJoC has published a special section on "Communication as the Discipline of
the 21st Century."

"Communication @ the Center," the theme of the 2011 ICA Conference in
Boston, served as a platform to explore the critical importance of
communication scholarship in the contemporary world.

This special section features slightly revised and amended versions of talks
by the speakers at the opening plenary of the 2011 ICA Conference, as well
as an article by an ICA audience member.

The lead speaker was Craig Calhoun, President of the Social Science Research
Council and University Professor of the Social Sciences at NYU, who spoke on
“Communication as Social Science (and More).” Subsequent speakers, each
of whom spoke on the topic at the plenary session, were Professors Joseph
Cappella, Sonia Livingstone, John Durham Peters and Georgette Wang.

One member of the audience at that plenary, Jeff Pooley, submitted a paper
specifically addressing the history and status of communication studies in
the U.S. academy.  We were happy to include this additional contribution to
the discussion, and we invite our readers to join in what we hope will be an
ongoing conversation on the future of our field.

This special section is characterized by a largely U.S.-centered focus, and
we especially encourage additional contributions from non-U.S. and
international perspectives. Nevertheless, these articles do offer a rich
collection of ideas, as well as incisive arguments for communication
scholars, individually and collectively, to assert the centrality of
communication studies to any credible account of the contemporary world.

Read this new Special Section at http://ijoc.org!

Manuel Castells
Larry Gross
Editors