Archive for October 2009

[ecrea] Television & New Media on the future of media studies

Wed Oct 07 14:34:54 GMT 2009

TELEVISION & NEW MEDIA
COMMEMORATES 10TH ANNIVERSARY
WITH SPECIAL ISSUE AND PODCASTS
Los Angeles=2C London=2C New Delhi=2C Singapore and Washington DC (January =
27=2C 2009) Television & New
Media (published by SAGE) turns ten this month. To commemorate that milesto=
ne=2C the journal has
published a special issue which includes podcasts of three key articles.

The special 10th anniversary issue explores everything from multiculturalis=
m to environmentalism. Leading
authors from around the world contribute=2C including David Morley=2C (=93F=
or a Materialist=2C Non-Media-centric
Media Studies=94)=2C Robert W. McChesney=2C (=93My Media Studies: Thoughts =
from Robert W. McChesney=94)=2C and
Chon A. Noriega (=93My Media Studies: Straddling Good Fences=94).

As a way to stimulate further discussion and add value to the special issue=
=2C podcasts were produced in Los
Angeles=2C New Orleans=2C and New York from three of the articles. The podc=
asts feature debate about the
ecological impact of media technologies=2C the place of electronic games in=
 understanding the Columbine
massacre=2C the mainstreaming of multi-racial television=2C the need to stu=
dy TV as it occurs in the daily lives of
people=2C and the question of whether technologies change people or the oth=
er way around. The featured
podcasted articles include:

=95 Vicki Mayer=92s =93My Media Studies=2C Fifty Years Later=94
=95 Rick Maxwell=92s =93My Media Studies: Ecocentric=2C Activist=2C Deeply =
Pluralistic=2C and Egalitarian=94
=95 Sarah Banet-Weiser and Herman Gray=92s =93Our Media Studies=94
=95 Doug Thomas=92 =93In Praise of the Anecdote=94
=95 Larry Gross=92 =93My Media Studies: Cultivation to Participation=94

=93We're very pleased to mark our tenth volume by inviting more than 50 of =
the leading figures in media
studies to reflect on where the field has gone=2C where it is now=2C and wh=
ere it should be headed=2C=94 said TVNM
editor Toby Miller. =93We are the only journal that places equal emphasis o=
n the dominant entertainment and
information medium of the 20th and 21st centuries =96 television =96 and it=
s relationship to the newer media.
Bringing together the writing of the best academics in the field=2C plus th=
e added bonus of the podcasts=2C
makes this special anniversary issue one that will be discussed for years t=
o come.=94

The tenth anniversary=2C January 2009 special issue of TVNM is being made f=
reely available by SAGE for a
limited time at http://tvnm.sagepub.com.
###
Television & New Media is an international journal devoted to the most rece=
nt trends in television and new
media studies. Focusing on textual analysis=2C political economy=2C cultura=
l history=2C policy advocacy=2C audience
ethnography=2C and economic and power issues that have an impact on the med=
ia=2C TVNM addresses
questions of how issues of economics and power are enacted in television. h=
ttp://tvn.sagepub.com/
SAGE is a leading international publisher of journals=2C books=2C and elect=
ronic media for academic=2C
educational=2C and professional markets. Since 1965=2C SAGE has helped info=
rm and educate a global
community of scholars=2C practitioners=2C researchers=2C and students spann=
ing a wide range of subject areas
including business=2C humanities=2C social sciences=2C and science=2C techn=
ology=2C and medicine. An independent
company=2C SAGE has principal offices in Los Angeles=2C London=2C New Delhi=
=2C Singapore and Washington DC.
www.sagepublications.com

Television & New Media on the future of media studies=2C examining Media St=
udies 3.0=2C comes complete with podcast (the PDF about the podcast is atta=
ched). People can look at the journal at tvn.sagepub.com.

Regards
Toby Miller