Archive for August 2009

[ecrea] position announcement, Ohio University, USA

Wed Aug 05 14:27:33 GMT 2009

The School of Communication Studies at Ohio University invites applications for 3 tenure-track Assistant Professor positions to commence Fall 2010. For one position, we seek a quantitatively oriented health campaigns scholar-teacher. For two positions, we seek scholar-teachers in organizational communication. For the organizational communication positions, we welcome applications from individuals whose program of research integrates diverse theoretical and methodological orientations. For one of the organizational communication positions, we are particularly interested in applications from individuals with an interest in globalization and/or intercultural communication concerns within organizations. Finally, for all three positions, we welcome applications from individuals who have the potential to augment our existing grant portfolio with additional external funding.

Applicants should hold the Ph.D. (or provide evidence that they will hold the degree by September 2010), have strong records of teaching and scholarship, demonstrate a commitment to engaged student learning, and exhibit appreciation for diverse theoretical and methodological approaches to communication. The person hired will teach undergraduate and graduate courses in his/her area of specialization, as well as advise undergraduate and doctoral students in the School.

The School of Communication Studies is housed in Ohio University's nationally recognized Scripps College of Communication. The school offers BSC and Ph.D. degrees with approximately 550 undergraduate majors and 60 graduate students. As of Fall 2009, we will offer an MA focusing on organizational communication, with courses taught using a blended format. Please visit our website to learn more about our undergraduate and graduate programs (http://www.coms.ohiou.edu ).

Chartered in 1804, Ohio University is the oldest university in the Northwest Territory. Enrollment at the Athens campus is approximately 21,000 students with over 7500 additional students on five regional campuses. First year undergraduate students' average at the 75th percentile nationally in GPA, class rank, and standardized test scores. OU enrolls students from all 50 states and 97 countries. To learn more about Ohio University please see http://www.ohio.edu.

Review of applications will begin October 1, 2009. We will continue to accept applications until the positions are filled.

Applicants for the health campaigns position should formally register interest in this position at www.ohiouniversityjobs.com/applicants/Central?quickFind-55483. Three letters of recommendation should be submitted in hardcopy form to Dr. Ben Bates, COMS, Lasher Hall, Ohio University, Athens, OH 45701-2979. A cover letter discussing qualifications, curriculum vitae, teaching philosophy together with evidence of teaching effectiveness, and scholarly agenda/accomplishments may either be submitted as part of the online application process or in hardcopy form to Dr. Bates.

Applicants for the organizational communication position should formally register interest in this position at www.ohiouniversityjobs.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=55479. Three letters of recommendation should be submitted in hardcopy form to Dr. Scott Titsworth, COMS, Lasher Hall, Ohio University, Athens, OH 45701-2979. A cover letter discussing qualifications, curriculum vitae, teaching philosophy together with evidence of teaching effectiveness, and scholarly agenda/accomplishments may either be submitted as part of the online application process or in hardcopy to Dr. Titsworth.

Applicants for the organizational communication position with a global/intercultural focus should formally register interest in this position at www.ohiouniversityjobs.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=55482. Three letters of recommendation should be submitted in hardcopy form to Dr. Scott Titsworth, COMS, Lasher Hall, Ohio University, Athens, OH 45701-2979. A cover letter discussing qualifications, curriculum vitae, teaching philosophy together with evidence of teaching effectiveness, and scholarly agenda/accomplishments may either be submitted as part of the online application process or in hardcopy to Dr. Titsworth.

Questions concerning these openings may be addressed to Dr. Bates ((batesb /at/ ohio.edu)), Dr. Titsworth ((titswort /at/ ohio.edu)) or Dr. Claudia Hale, Director, School of Communication Studies, (hale /at/ ohio.edu).

Ohio University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Applications from women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are especially encouraged. Preferred candidates would contribute to the climate of diversity in the College, including a diversity of scholarly approaches. The University community strives to create an educational environment in which students refine their abilities to reason and communicate clearly so as to become responsible citizens in a diverse world.