Archive for April 2009

[ecrea] New Book Modes of Spectating

Fri Apr 24 16:40:27 GMT 2009

MODES OF SPECTATING

Edited by Alison Oddey & Christine White

ISBN 9781841502397
Paperback 266 pages 230x174mm
Available now
Price £19.95

About the book

The notion of spectatorship has become of increasing interest as artists
develop experimental works and manufacturers seek to produce the means for
viewing such works. 'Modes of Spectating' explores the visual landscapes
which spectators encounter, and how they perceive what they view.

The volume questions the effect of different mediums on the spectator and
asks not only how we view, but also how what we view determines what artists
create. Chapters discuss how gaming and televisual media and entertainment
are used by young people, and the resulting psychological challenges of
human beings in their new ?spectated? surroundings of virtual worlds and
media. Themes explored include aesthetics, the body and mind and digital
entertainment environments, looked at through the lenses of gaming art,
photography, sculpture and performance, making it a useful text for scholars
of all disciplines of media and art.

Chapters include: The Audience in Second Life: Thoughts on the Virtual
Spectator, Cultural Use of Cyberspace: Paradigms of Digital Reality and
Sites of Performance: The Wollstonecraft Live Experience!

For further information or to request a review copy please contact:

James Campbell

Marketing & Publishing Assistant

(james /at/ intellectbooks.com)

To order 'Modes of Spectating' please visit our website:
http://www.intellectbooks.co.uk/ppbooks.php?isbn=9781841502397

Or go to Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=modes+of+spectating&x=0&y=0