[ecrea] cfp - Special issue: Media, globalization and the postcolony - Journal of Global Mass Communication

Tue Jun 10 07:11:29 GMT 2008

>*Apologies for cross-posting*
>
>Call for papers: Journal of Global Mass Communication
>Special issue: Media, globalization and the postcolony
>Guest editor: Herman Wasserman
>Deadline for submissions: 1 January 2009
>
>The accelerated globalization of media,
>especially as a result of technological advances
>during recent decades, has impacted greatly on
>the way media and journalism is being understood
>in the developed world. Media have become
>pervasive in everyday life, and new media
>technologies have blurred the distinction
>between producers and consumers. Distant regions
>of the world have been brought in close
>proximity due to the global reach of media, and
>global media organisations have aggressively
>penetrated new markets around the globe. Several
>critics have argued that the global flow of
>informational and cultural content is not only a
>one-way street: in the era of global media,
>contraflows and hybridities have emerged that
>challenge binary perceptions of global
>informational flows. Yet media and communication
>scholarship is still dominated by perspectives
>from the global North, due in part to the
>political economy of research and publishing.
>The result is that experiences based on the
>interaction between media and society in the
>developed world are given the status of theory,
>only rarely to be challenged by
>counter-perspectives from other regions of the
>world.  It would be too crude and simplistic to
>equate the imbalance in media flows with a new
>type of colonialism, yet it cannot be denied
>that current global asymmetries of power map
>onto the history of colonial domination and
>subjection. At the same time, the history of
>colonialism can also be invoked to justify new
>forms of hegemony, exclusion or marginalization
>of critical voices. Although globalization does
>not equal imperialism, the process of
>globalization cannot be fully understood without
>understanding the history of colonialism and its
>persistent legacies. To understand the way media
>constructs and impacts upon global society
>today, it is therefore necessary to link our
>view of contemporary global media architectures,
>markets and flows with the history of
>colonialism and decolonization; the persistent
>patterns of domination and exclusion with
>colonial and postcolonial discourse; and refuse
>an ahistorical approach to the challenge for
>equitable and ethical global media.
>This themed issue invites submissions dealing
>with research questions related to the above
>approach to global media. Critical
>contributions, particularly those focusing on
>the impact of media globalization on the global
>South or analyze global media from the
>perspective of postcolonial theory, are especially invited.
>Submissions should be between 6000 and 8000
>words, following APA style. Manuscripts are double-blind peer reviewed.
>Further information about the journal is
>available at
> [...]

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
&
Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis
Boulevard du Jardin Botanique 43  - B-1000 Brussel - Belgium
ECREA's Second European Communication Conference
Barcelona, 25-28 November 2008
http://www.ecrea2008barcelona.org/