[ecrea] Between Babel and 'Earth City'

Mon Jun 02 09:15:41 GMT 2008

>Between Babel and Earth City
>

>Barriers of Intercultural and International Communication
>October 30th  November 1st, 2008
>Technische Universität Ilmenau (Germany; Thuringia)
>
>English proposals are more than welcome,
>therefore kindly find attached the call for
>papers and please feel free to forward the call
>to possible interested colleagues!
>
>Best regards,
>
>Maria Roeder
>

>Wissenschaftliche Mitarbeiterin
>Universität Mannheim
>Seminar für Medien- und Kommunikationswissenschaft L7, 7
>68131 Mannheim
>
>Tel. 0621-181-2303
>Fax 0621-181-3114

+++

Call for Papers
for the first conference of the
Network Intercultural and International Communication
Between Bable and Earth City
Barriers of Intercultural and International Communication
October 30th  November 1st, 2008
Technische Universität Ilmenau (Thuringia)
Organisation
Network Intercultural and International Communication
in cooperation with
Institute of Media and Communication Science, TU Ilmenau
Objectives
In 1956, Benjamin Lee Whorf published his
influential book on the relationship between
language and thinking. According to Whorf, the
diversity of language, or more precisely:
different grammars, lead to different views of
the world. On the other hand, Marshall McLuhan
caused a furore at about the same time (1962) by
stating that the electronic interdependence
changes the world into a global village, into a
virtual, barrier-free simultaneous field.
However, following McLuhan, Europeans cannot
imagine Earth City. They have remained in old
cities too long to appreciate new horizons,
created by new media. In any case, Earth City
will certainly remain an artefact even on the
internet although this technology is seen as an
approximation of McLuhans ideas also by European
apologists of the global village.
In spite of growing global integration, the world
by no means becomes a virtual community in which
cognitive distances shrink to the scope of
traditional communities. Despite - or because -
of globalization, the worlds structure will not
resemble a simultaneous field but remain a
sphere prone to conflict and containing
multifaceted barriers (Fred E. Jandt). These
barriers aggravate, retard and disturb
intercultural and international (media)
communication  but conceivably will be of use
for it, too (sometimes). In view of this
background, current political, economic and
cultural barriers of intercultural and
international communication are to be analysed
during the conference. Furthermore, concepts of
how to overcome such obstacles shall be
discussed. The conference contributes to locating
more precisely  theoretically and empirically
the functions of mediated communication in the
emergence of a world society somewhere between
Babel  the symbol of communicative
(Babylonian) barriers  and Earth City.
Call for Papers: Conference Between Babel and
Earth City  Ilmenau 30/10-1/11/2008
Topics of presentations may include the imbalance
and relations of dominance in international
communication, routines and disturbances in
trans-border crisis and conflict communication,
(dysfunctional) influences of international
Public Relations on nations and cultures, the
complex and often contradictory development of
transnational and transcultural spheres of
communication, or factors of success in intercultural dialogue.
Submission and Selection
Please send your proposal for a presentation of
20 minutes (max.) to Dr Liane Rothenberger
((liane.rothenberger /at/ tu-ilmenau.de)) before August
11th, 2008. Your proposal should contain 8.000
characters max. (incl. blank spaces). The
proposal must relate the paper to the conference
topic and elaborate on the subjects relevance
and originality. Please provide your proposal
with a cover sheet comprising the paper title as
well as the names and addresses of the
submitters. By handing in the submission, you
give your consent to presenting your lecture at
the conference. The submissions will be reviewed
in an anonymous peer-review system taking into
account criteria such as originality, relevance,
distinctiveness and conciseness of the issue,
theoretical foundation as well as adequateness of
research methods. The general fit with the
conference topic will also be considered. You
will be informed about acceptance or rejection of
your proposal until September 8th, 2008.
Organisation and Contacts
The Network Intercultural and International
Communication organises the conference in
cooperation with the Institute of Media and
Communication Science, TU Ilmenau. Participants
of the programme committee of the conference are:
Michael Brüggemann (Bremen), Oliver Hahn
(Iserlohn), Thomas Hanitzsch (Zurich), Andreas
Hepp (Bremen), Gabriele Melischek (Vienna),
Barbara Pfetsch (Hohenheim), Barbara Thomaß
(Bochum), Hartmut Wessler (Mannheim) as well as
Nicola Döring, Martin Löffelholz, Andreas Will,
Jens Wolling and Frauke Zeller (Ilmenau). The
conference language will be German; however,
papers in English are welcome, and we strongly
encourage submissions of non-German scholars.
Travel and accommodation expenses cannot be
reimbursed. If a conference fee is necessary, it
will be calculated as low as possible.
Chair Professor Dr Martin Löffelholz
Organisation Dr Liane Rothenberger
Address Technische Universität Ilmenau, Institut
für Medien- und Kommunikationswissenschaft, D-98694 Ilmenau
Email (liane.rothenberger /at/ tu-ilmenau.de)
Telephone +49 (0) 3677- 69 4669 (Organisation)
+49 (0) 3677- 69 4703 (Conference Secretary)
Facsimile +49 (0) 3677- 69 4695

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
&
Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis
Boulevard du Jardin Botanique 43  - B-1000 Brussel - Belgium
ECREA's Second European Communication Conference
Barcelona, 25-28 November 2008
http://www.ecrea2008barcelona.org/