[ecrea] vacancies - Department of Communication at the University of Massachusetts Amherst

Thu May 29 13:07:58 GMT 2008

DEPARTMENT OF COMMUNICATION
UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS, AMHERST

The Department of Communication at the University
of Massachusetts Amherst studies communicative
processes at the levels of culture, media, and
representation; individuals, professionals and
groups; and institutions and social
structures.  Much of our work takes place at the
intersections of these levels of analysis.  We
are committed teachers and active researchers
whose perspectives and methods encompass social
science, cultural and professional
orientations.  Our faculty develops connections
between theory and practice in order to advance
knowledge in the field, to promote informed
public debate, and to teach students how to think
critically as citizens in a democratic society.
We are dedicated to making our teaching and
research accessible beyond the academy, as a
force for sustainable social change.

The Department of Communication of the University
of Massachusetts, Amherst seeks to extend its
international, intercultural and
interdisciplinary faculty. We are starting a
robust hiring initiative and, pending approval by
the Provost, we expect to conduct at least six
tenure-track faculty searches at the Assistant
and possibly Associate level. We anticipate that
these searches will be in the following areas:

(1) International/Global Communication: We seek
an excellent scholar and teacher with strong
theoretical grounding and an international
profile. Areas of interest may include
intercultural or international communication,
language and social interaction, policy analysis,
communication for development and social change,
or ethnographic communication studies articulated
at a global, regional and/or national level.

(2) Quantitative Communication Research
Methodologies:  We seek an outstanding scholar
and teacher with strong theoretical grounding who
can apply specific quantitative communication
methodologies to the study of communication in
social and cultural environments.  Ideally, the
successful candidate will also be familiar with
qualitative communication research
methodologies.  Ability to teach quantitative
research methods at both undergraduate and
graduate levels is essential. Areas of emphasis
may include interpersonal, intercultural, media or international communication.

(3) Qualitative Communication Research
Methodologies:  We seek an excellent scholar and
teacher with strong theoretical grounding who can
apply specific qualitative communication
methodologies to the study of communication in
social and cultural environments.  Ideally, the
successful candidate will also be familiar with
quantitative communication research
methodologies.  Ability to teach qualitative
research methods at both undergraduate and
graduate levels is essential. Areas of emphasis
may include language and social interaction,
interpersonal, intercultural, media or international communication.

(4) News and Society:  We seek an outstanding
scholar who teaches and conducts research on the
nature, role, and impact of news on various
audiences or in society at large.  Specific
concentrations could include news and public
opinion, and agenda setting and related processes
(including coverage of politics, current affairs,
ethnicity and gender, entertainment, and sports).
Emphasis on new media and/or international implications is desirable.

(5) Journalism Studies:  We seek an excellent
scholar with a deep understanding of both the
academic and professional fields of journalism
interested in working across the
journalism/communication studies divide.
Desirable areas of expertise include citizen
journalism, online journalism, visual journalism, and/or global journalism.

(6) Journalism: We seek an outstanding teacher
with a deep understanding of both the academic
and professional fields of journalism. Desirable
areas of expertise may include new media, ethics,
international reporting and/or
science/environmental journalism. A Ph.D. is
preferred, but applicants with a Masters degree
and significant professional experience will be considered.

For all but the last position duties will include
maintaining an active research program and
supervising students at B.A., M.A. and Ph.D.
levels. A completed Ph.D. is essential (with
degree in hand by February 1, 2009) for all but
the last position.  Salary is competitive. Review
of applications will begin on October 1, 2008,
and will continue until the positions are filled.

For expressions of interest and further information, please contact:

Jan Servaes, Chair
Department of Communication
401 Machmer Hall
240 Hicks Way
University of Massachusetts
Amherst, MA. 01003-9278, USA
Email: (jservaes /at/ comm.umass.edu)

The Department of Communication and the College
of Social and Behavioral Sciences are committed
to fostering a diverse faculty, student body, and
curriculum. Please go to www.umass.edu for
information on UMass Amherst, the flagship campus
of the University of Massachusetts system, or to
<http://www.umass.edu/communication>www.umass.edu/communication
for more information on the Department of
Communication.   The university is an Affirmative
Action/Equal Opportunity employer; inquiries from
women and members of minority communities are strongly encouraged.

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
&
Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis
Boulevard du Jardin Botanique 43  - B-1000 Brussel - Belgium
ECREA's Second European Communication Conference
Barcelona, 25-28 November 2008
http://www.ecrea2008barcelona.org/