[ecrea] Interface: a journal for and about social movements

Wed May 21 19:18:38 GMT 2008

INTERFACE: A JOURNAL FOR AND ABOUT SOCIAL MOVEMENTS

CALL FOR PAPERS

Interface is a new journal launched by activists
and academics around the world in response to the
development and increased visibility of social
movements in the last few years - and the immense
amount of knowledge generated in this process.
This knowledge is created across the globe, and
in many contexts and a variety of ways, and it
constitutes an incredibly valuable resource for
the further development of social movements.
Interface responds to this need, as a tool to
help our movements learn from each others struggles.

Interface is a forum bringing together activists
from different movements and different countries,
researchers working with movements, and
progressive academics from various countries to
contribute to the production of knowledge that
can help us gain insights across movements and
issues, across continents and cultures, and
across theoretical and disciplinary traditions.
To this end, Interface will seek to develop
analysis and knowledge that allow lessons to be
learned from specific movement processes and
experiences and translated into a form useful for
other movements.  In doing so, our goal is to
include material that can be used in a range of
ways by movements  in terms of its content, its
language, its purpose and its form.

We are currently seeking contributions to the
first issue of Interface and welcome
contributions by movement participants and
academics who are developing movement-relevant
theory and research. The theme of this first
issue, which will be published on January 1st
2009, is movement knowledge: what we know, how
we create knowledge, what we do with it and how
it can make a difference either in movement
struggles or in creating a different and better
world. We invite both formal research
(qualitative and quantitative) and
practically-grounded work on all aspects of
social movements. We are seeking work in a range
of different formats, such as conventional
articles, review essays, facilitated discussions
and interviews, action notes, teaching notes, key
documents and analysis, book reviews  and beyond
(see details in the guidelines for contributors).

In order to achieve this, research contributions
will be reviewed by both activist and academic
peers, other material will be sympathetically
edited, and the editorial process generally will
be geared towards assisting authors to find ways
of expressing their understanding, so that we all
can be heard across geographical, social and
political distances. The deadline for
contributions for the first issue is September
1st 2008. Please contact the appropriate editor
if you are thinking of submitting an article. You
can access the journal and get further details at
http://www.interfacejournal.net/

The journal will be published twice yearly
(January 15th and September 15th), each time with
a themed core section and a collection of other
articles. Bi-monthly updates (March 1st, May 1st
and November 1st) will highlight practice-oriented pieces in particular.

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
&
Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis
Boulevard du Jardin Botanique 43  - B-1000 Brussel - Belgium
ECREA's Second European Communication Conference
Barcelona, 25-28 November 2008
http://www.ecrea2008barcelona.org/