[ecrea] the impact of the commercial world on children's wellbeing

Mon May 19 11:59:38 GMT 2008

>THE IMPACT OF THE COMMERCIAL WORLD ON CHILDRENS WELL-BEING
>
>As part of ongoing commitments under the Childrens Plan, the Department for
>Children, Schools and Families and the Department of Culture, Media and
>Sport has commissioned an independent assessment of evidence relating to the
>impact of the commercial world on childrens well-being. The assessment is
>examining childrens commercial world in the broadest sense, and is not
>limited to a focus on advertising. It is taking account of the beneficial
>aspects of childrens engagement with commercial activities, as well as
>potentially problematic outcomes.
>
>A central part of the assessment is a series of literature reviews relating
>to key aspects of the field. We are looking for succinct, comprehensive and
>authoritative evaluations of the available research evidence, which will
>also draw attention to current gaps in knowledge. These reviews will draw
>upon evidence from the UK and abroad. We are now inviting bids to undertake
>reviews in the following areas identified below. The precise coverage of
>each review will be finally determined through negotiation between the
>successful applicants.
>
>Initial expressions of interest are invited by 28 May, and may be registered
>via the DCSF website at: www.dfes.gov.uk/research/
>

>1. Childrens and Families Commercial Engagement: Socio-Demographic Changes
>and Trends
>
>This review will provide a statistical analysis of broad social and
>demographic trends in childhood and family life, with particular reference
>to implications for childrens relationship with the commercial world. As
>far as possible, the review will map trends across a 50 year period; and it
>will need to consider aspects of social difference and inequality such as
>gender, social class and ethnicity, as well as
>age differences among children.
>
>2. The Childrens Market: Characteristics, Trends and Strategies
>
>This review will map the changing nature of the childrens market, and the
>commercial strategies that are used by companies to target children, both as
>consumers in their own right and as a means of influencing adult consumers.
>While historical evidence may be difficult to locate, we hope that this
>review will include some historical comparison across at least a 50-year
>period.
>
>3. Consumption and the Ecology of Family Life: Change and Continuity
>
>This review will build on the broad trends identified in The Childrens and
>Families Commercial Engagement: Socio-Demographic Changes and Trends and
>The Childrens Market: Characteristics, Trends and Strategies reviews by
>offering a more inside account of the changing forms and characteristics
>of consumption behaviour within different types of families, and the ways in
>which these relate to broader relationships between family members. This is
>likely to include analysis of qualitative studies as well as available
> [...]

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
&
Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis
Boulevard du Jardin Botanique 43  - B-1000 Brussel - Belgium
ECREA's Second European Communication Conference
Barcelona, 25-28 November 2008
http://www.ecrea2008barcelona.org/