[ecrea] EU Kids Online Alert

Wed Mar 26 21:00:05 GMT 2008

Welcome to the 4th Alert from EU Kids Online

>Contents: Risk Findings, Preview of the
>comparative analysis report, Israeli Children
>Go-on-line, Media analysis project, The Internet
>Governance Forum, Safer Internet Day 2008, Dissemination
>

>Growing body of research on online risk in Europe
>

>Risk findings
>

>EU Kids Online has been tracking the online
>risks faced by children across countries. In
>some countries, research has produced several quantitative estimates of risk.
>    * It appears that high risk countries are
> those that, on the one hand, are new to the
> internet (Poland, Czech Republic) and, on the
> other hand, are experienced with the internet (UK, The Netherlands).
>    * The next riskiest are Iceland, Ireland and
> Estonia  all small northern European countries.
>    * The low risk countries, research suggests,
> are Germany, Norway, Denmark, France and Italy.
>    * Unfortunately, few quantitative estimates
> exist for childrens experiences of online risk
> in some countries: Austria, Bulgaria, Cyprus,
> Denmark, Greece, Portugal, Slovenia and Spain.
>

>EU Kids Online has been tracking the online
>risks faced by children across countries. In
>some countries, research has produced several quantitative estimates of risk.
>
>·         It appears that high risk countries
>are those that, on the one hand, are new to the
>internet (Poland, Czech Republic) and, on the
>other hand, are experienced with the internet (UK, The Netherlands).
>
>·         The next riskiest are Iceland, Ireland
>and Estonia  all small northern European countries.
>
>·         The low risk countries, research
>suggests, are Germany, Norway, Denmark, France and Italy.
>
>·         Unfortunately, few quantitative
>estimates exist for childrens experiences of
>online risk in some countries: Austria,
>Bulgaria, Cyprus, Denmark, Greece, Portugal, Slovenia and Spain.
>

>Comparing across risks, rather than across
>countries, research suggests that some risks are
>more prevalent and/or more homogenous across
>countries, than others. Our findings show an
>approximate ordering of online risks to teenagers as follows:
>

>·         Giving out personal information: this
>is most common risk  around half of online
>teens, with considerable cross-national variation (13% to 91%)
>
>·         Seeing pornography: the second most
>common risk at around 4 in 10 online teens
>across Europe, but again considerable cross-national variation (25% - 71%)
>
>·         Seeing violent or hateful content: the
>third most common risk at approximately one
>third of teens and, apart of a figure of 90%
>among social networking teens in Ireland, a fair
>degree of consistency across countries
>
>·         Being bullied/harassed/stalked:
>generally around 1 in 5 or 6 teens online,
>though there is also a group of high risk
>countries here (Poland, possibly Estonia) and one low risk country  Belgium
>
>·         Receiving unwanted sexual comments  -
>only around 1 in 10 teens in Germany, Ireland
>and Portugal; but closer to 1 in 4 teens in
> [...]

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
&
Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis
Boulevard du Jardin Botanique 43  - B-1000 Brussel - Belgium
----------------------------
NEW BOOKS OUT
Understanding Alternative Media
by Olga Bailey, Bart Cammaerts, Nico Carpentier
(December 2007)
http://mcgraw-hill.co.uk/html/0335222102.html
Participation and Media Production. Critical Reflections on Content Creation.
Edited by Nico Carpentier and Benjamin De Cleen
(January 2008)
<http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/Participation-and-Media-Production--Critical-Reflections-on-Content-Creation1-84718-453-7.htm>http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/Participation-and-Media-Production--Critical-Reflections-on-Content-Creation1-84718-453-7.htm

ECREA's Second European Communication Conference
Barcelona, 25-28 November 2008
http://www.ecrea2008barcelona.org/