[ecrea] CFP, Web_site Histories: Theories, Methods, Analysis

Fri Mar 21 17:40:49 GMT 2008

>*Please distribute widely. Apologies for cross-posting*
>

>Call for Papers
>

>Conference title: Web_site Histories: Theories, Methods, Analysis
>
>One-day conference, October 14th 2008. The main purpose of Web_site
>Histories is to place the new and emerging field of Web History on the
>research agenda and to map the field of historical website studies.
>
>Organizer: The Centre for Internet Research, University of Aarhus,
>Denmark.
>
>The conference is associated the AoIR 9.0 conference "Rethinking
>Communities, Rethinking Place" in Copenhagen (http://conferences.aoir.org )
>
>Confirmed keynote speakers:
>Kirsten Foot, Associate Professor, University of Washington
>Steven Schneider, Professor, State University of New York
>Title: Object-Oriented Web Historiography.
>Abstract: Foot & Schneider will present a keynote address that focuses
>on their proposal of an object-oriented approach to researching and
>writing Web history. They will consider the various meanings of object
>entailed within the notion of object-oriented Web historiography in
>order to advance both the theoretical foundation and methodological
>rigor of developmental analyses of Web artifacts in their hyperlinked
>contexts. Developmental analyses of any aspect of the Web, whether
>engaged in contemporaneously or retrospectively, entail dynamics
>within and between the (co)producers of Web artifacts, production
>practices and techniques, and Web artifacts themselves. These dynamics
>make it difficult but very important for scholars to identify and
>situate their object(s) of analysis historically and theoretically.
>See extended description at
>http://www.cfi.au.dk/en/events/conferences/wsh08/keynote .
>Kirsten Foot and Steven Schneider are the authors of Web Campaigning
>(MIT Press 2006) as well as a number of articles about Web Sphere
>Analysis.
>
>A panel will round off the conference by discussing the future
>directions of studies of Web History. Besides Kirsten Foot and Steven
>Schneider panel participant will be Niels Brügger, Associate
>Professor, the Centre for Internet Research, University of Aarhus.
>
>The main purpose of Web_site Histories is to place the new and
>emerging field of Web History on the research agenda and to map the
>field of historical website studies. The focus on the Web can be seen
>as a specialization within the larger field of Internet History, but
>with another subset of questions and challenges. The underscore in the
>title reflects the uncertainty and variability of the object of study
>­ are we talking about the Web in general, Web Spheres, individual
>websites, or web pages? The conference welcomes papers on any of these
>approaches or any other theme, topic or idea connected to the
>theories, methods or analysis of Web History. Theoretical approaches
>could be discussions of the object of study or reflections on doing
> [...]

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
&
Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis
Boulevard du Jardin Botanique 43  - B-1000 Brussel - Belgium
----------------------------
NEW BOOKS OUT
Understanding Alternative Media
by Olga Bailey, Bart Cammaerts, Nico Carpentier
(December 2007)
http://mcgraw-hill.co.uk/html/0335222102.html
Participation and Media Production. Critical Reflections on Content Creation.
Edited by Nico Carpentier and Benjamin De Cleen
(January 2008)
<http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/Participation-and-Media-Production--Critical-Reflections-on-Content-Creation1-84718-453-7.htm>http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/Participation-and-Media-Production--Critical-Reflections-on-Content-Creation1-84718-453-7.htm

ECREA's Second European Communication Conference
Barcelona, 25-28 November 2008
http://www.ecrea2008barcelona.org/