[ecrea] The Wire -- call for submissions

Fri Feb 29 11:25:15 GMT 2008

> > Fran Bartkowski ((franb /at/ andromeda.rutgers.edu))
> > Sherri-Ann Butterfield ((sbutter /at/ andromeda.rutgers.edu))
> >
> > Project description
> >

> > 24/7 Believe: Watching The Wire is a collection of essays by
> > academics and writers who have become fans, fanatics even, for this
> > particular HBO television series which is currently broadcasting its
> > final of five seasons.  Word on The Wire seems to have picked up
> > steam as each season fans spread the word among their friends and
> > associates.  By this winter, with the final season imminent
> > conversations proliferated in communities that resemble the Baltimore
> > depicted in this series as well as in cultures like the university
> > that are as far from this scene as one can imagine.
> >
> >          More than earlier HBO series such as The
> > Sopranos, Deadwood, or Six Feet Under which have certainly gotten
> > many of us to sit before the small screen, The Wire has us examining
> > from our various disciplinary backgrounds why we are so hooked,
> > addicted even, on this particular show in a way that is quite
> > different from those above.  This is not a family romance, nor a
> > simple workplace drama or comedy; nor is it just another cop show.
> >  In countless conversations the points of reference may range from
> > Dickensian, to Shakespearean to Greek as we search for earlier models
> > of storytelling that please and instruct us in the ways of human
> > behavior, questions of fate, forms of community, and strategies for
> > survival.
> >
> > In The Wires effort to renounce traditional themes of good and evil,
> > the show creates a realistic vision of contemporary urban America. By
> > exploring the complexity and interconnectedness of law and order,
> > viewers are exposed to the multitude of ways that the everyday social
> > issues of race, class, gender, sexuality, crime, education, politics,
> > and health care can be, and often are, interdependent.  The beauty of
> > the show lies in the fact that regardless of what side of the law the
> > characters fall on, their depictions are complex, tragic, earnest,
> > heartfelt and heartbreaking. As a result, viewers become immersed in
> > the characters and find themselves identifying with them at various
> > points, despite said characters relationship to the criminal justice
> > system. It is this identification with the characters of The Wire
> > that leaves some viewers uncomfortable with their own preconceived
> > notions of right and wrong, while inspiring others to ask important
> > questions about the status quo of contemporary American society.
> >
> > The Wire is also painfully realistic in its depiction of various
> > social institutions such as the police department, City Hall, unions,
> > the educational system, as well as several elaborate drug-trafficking
> > organizations. It reveals the ways in which all of these institutions
> > can be dys- (and sometimes non-) functional, and the ways that
> > characters are often betrayed by the very organizations they serve.
> [...]

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
&
Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis
Boulevard du Jardin Botanique 43  - B-1000 Brussel - Belgium
----------------------------
NEW BOOKS OUT
Understanding Alternative Media
by Olga Bailey, Bart Cammaerts, Nico Carpentier
(December 2007)
http://mcgraw-hill.co.uk/html/0335222102.html
Participation and Media Production. Critical Reflections on Content Creation.
Edited by Nico Carpentier and Benjamin De Cleen
(January 2008)
<http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/Participation-and-Media-Production--Critical-Reflections-on-Content-Creation1-84718-453-7.htm>http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/Participation-and-Media-Production--Critical-Reflections-on-Content-Creation1-84718-453-7.htm

ECREA's Second European Communication Conference
Barcelona, 25-28 November 2008
http://www.ecrea2008barcelona.org/