[ecrea] The Space Between: Languages, Translations and Cultures.

Thu Feb 21 06:17:01 GMT 2008

>Call for papers
>PORTAL Journal of Multidisciplinary International Studies
>
>Special Issue: The Space Between: Languages, Translations and Cultures.
>
>We seek expressions of interest for a special
>journal issue focusing on the Spaces Between
>Languages. We seek articles that explore how the
>space between languages is experienced through
>translation and interpretation, language
>learning and teaching, contact situations,
>code-switching, bilingualism, and in literary
>and cultural production. We are also interested
>in addressing these issues from the Spaces
>Between Disciplines, which might include the
>spaces between linguistics, language and
>translation studies, language pedagogy, cultural
>studies and postcolonial studies. Possible
>approaches might refer to Homi Bhabhas notion
>of the third space, or Mary Louise Pratts notion of transculturation.
>
>If you are interested in contributing to this
>special issue on The Space Between: Languages,
>Translations and Cultures, please send an
>abstract (500 words) and a brief (one page)
>curriculum vitae to Emi Otsuji
><(emi.otsuji /at/ uts.edu.au)> by 31 March 2008.
>Contributors who have been notified of
>acceptance of abstracts will be asked to submit
>complete papers by 31 July 2008. Papers should
>be up to 6,000 words in length (including notes,
>references, tables or additional material) and
>should follow the PORTAL style guide
><http://epress.lib.uts.edu.au/ojs/index.php/portal>http://epress.lib.uts.edu.au/ojs/index.php/portal
>and be submitted directly into PORTAL via
><http://epress.lib.uts.edu.au/ojs/index.php/portal/about/submissions#onlineSubmissions>http://epress.lib.uts.edu.au/ojs/index.php/portal/about/submissions#onlineSubmissions
>
>All submissions will be subjected to double-blind peer review.
>
>Special Issue Editors:
>Vera Mackie, University of Melbourne <(vmackie /at/ unimelb.edu.au)>
>Ikuko Nakane, University of Melbourne <(inakane /at/ unimelb.edu.au)>
>Emi Otsuji, University of Technology: Sydney <(emi.otsuji /at/ uts.edu.au)>
>
>About PORTAL Journal of Multidisciplinary International Studies
>Portal has built into its editorial protocols a
>commitment to facilitating dialogue between
>international studies practitioners working
>anywhere in the world, and not simply or
>exclusively in the North, the West or the
>First World. The journals commitment to
>fashioning a genuinely international' studies
>rubric is also reflected in our willingness to
>publish critical and creative work in English as
>well as in a number of other languages: Bahasa
>Indonesia, Chinese, Croatian, French, German,
>Italian, Japanese, Serbian, and Spanish.
>
>Portal provides open access to all of it content
>on the principle that making research freely
>available to the public supports a greater
>global exchange of knowledge. If you are
>interested in submitting a paper please read the
>Authors guidelines and information about the
> [...]

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
&
Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis
Boulevard du Jardin Botanique 43  - B-1000 Brussel - Belgium
----------------------------
NEW BOOKS OUT
Understanding Alternative Media
by Olga Bailey, Bart Cammaerts, Nico Carpentier
(December 2007)
http://mcgraw-hill.co.uk/html/0335222102.html
Participation and Media Production. Critical Reflections on Content Creation.
Edited by Nico Carpentier and Benjamin De Cleen
(January 2008)
<http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/Participation-and-Media-Production--Critical-Reflections-on-Content-Creation1-84718-453-7.htm>http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/Participation-and-Media-Production--Critical-Reflections-on-Content-Creation1-84718-453-7.htm

ECREA's Second European Communication Conference
Barcelona, 25-28 November 2008
http://www.ecrea2008barcelona.org/