Archive for April 2008

[ecrea] CFP: Embodied Politics in Visual Autobiography

Wed Apr 30 19:29:39 GMT 2008

>Call for Papers
>
>Embodied Politics in Visual Autobiography (collection; abstracts due
>May 15/08)
>
>We invite contributions for a proposed collection of essays on visual
>autobiography, focusing on health, bodies, and embodied subjectivities.
>The collection will consider how cultural practices of self-narration
>and self-portraiture image and imagine unruly bodies and, in so doing,
>respond to Patricia Zimmermanns call for radical media democracies
>that animate contentious public spheres (2000, p. xx).
>
>How are health, dis/ability, and the body theorized, materialized, and
>politicized in visual autobiographies, including forms such as
>photography, video art, graphic memoir, film, body art and performance,
>and digital media? We are particularly interested in the potential of
>visual autobiographies to:
>
>-explore how bodies negotiate disciplinary regimes and technologies
>
>-produce counterdiscursive manoeuvres and new representational spaces
>
>-investigate how power/knowledge relations constitute embodiments
>
>-provoke critical and ethical reflection
>
>We welcome contributions from academic- and arts-based researchers and
>practitioners. We encourage a wide range of critical perspectives:
>cultural studies, critical theory, disability studies, feminist
>studies, critical race studies, diaspora studies, queer studies,
>Aboriginal studies, globalization studies, literary studies, art
>history, music, media studies, theatre and performance studies.
>Analytic approaches could involve: textual analysis; histories,
>presents, and futures; practices and practitioners; and pedagogy.
>
>Possible topics:
>
>dis/ability
>
>sickness/wellness
>
>disease
>
>bodies negotiating borders and boundaries
>
>traded and disappeared bodies
>
>trauma and testimony
>
>memory and memorializing
>
>monstrosity
>
>care of the self
>
>care-giving
>
>fatness and body size
>
>aging
>
>body alterations and transformations
>
>environments
>
>activisms
>
>Send a 300- to 500-word abstract, working title, and a brief bio, by
>email in a Word attachment, to Sarah Brophy ((brophys /at/ mcmaster.ca)
><mailto:(brophys /at/ mcmaster.ca)>) and Janice Hladki ((hladkij /at/ mcmaster.ca)
><mailto:(hladkij /at/ mcmaster.ca)> on or before May 15, 2008. Inquiries are
>also welcome. Final papers should range in length from 4000-8000 words.
>
>About the editors: Sarah Brophy is an Associate Professor in English
>and Cultural Studies, McMaster University. Janice Hladki is an
>Associate Professor in Theatre and Film Studies, McMaster University.
>
>-- Sarah Brophy
>Associate Professor
>Department of English and Cultural Studies
> [...]

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
&
Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis
Boulevard du Jardin Botanique 43  - B-1000 Brussel - Belgium
ECREA's Second European Communication Conference
Barcelona, 25-28 November 2008
http://www.ecrea2008barcelona.org/