[eccr] CfP Critical Studies in Television

Fri Oct 22 14:25:50 GMT 2004

>Call for papers: CRITICAL STUDIES IN TELEVISION. scholarly studies
>for small screen fictions.
>
>CST is an online journal that aims to provide a major international
>forum for the presentation of research and discussion of television
>with a specific focus upon fictions made for the small screen. The
>emphasis of the journal is thus on programmes constructed for the
>medium of television not specifically catered for in current
>academic journals.  This includes episodic and serial dramas and
>continuing serial dramas like soaps and single plays, but CST is
>also open to consideration of innovative and interactive fictions
>for the small screen.
>
>Attached are cfps for articles and TV Shorts
>

>Dr Janet McCabe
>Research Associate,
>Manchester Metropolitan University.

+++
CALL FOR PAPERS
Critical Studies in Television: scholarly studies of small screen fictions
Editors: Kim Akass, Stephen Lacey, David Lavery, Janet McCabe, Robin Nelson
and Rhonda V. Wilcox.

ABOUT CST: CST is an online journal that aims to provide a major
international forum for the presentation of research and discussion of
television with a specific focus upon fictions made for the small screen.
The emphasis of the journal is thus on programmes constructed for the
medium of television not specifically catered for in current academic
journals.  This includes episodic and serial dramas and continuing serial
dramas like soaps and single plays, but CST is also open to consideration
of innovative and interactive fictions for the small screen.

CST acknowledges in its open title that the understanding of television
texts extends to production and reception contexts and that it is
increasingly difficult to delineate factual from fictional constructs.
Thus, contributions locating television products in a wider range of issues
in cultural and social analysis are welcome. Proposals on a diverse range
of topics will be considered. These could include:

Period drama;
Cult TV;
Series-serial dramas;
Continuing serial dramas (soaps);
The single play;
Children's TV;
Trans-nationalism; domestic production; international reception

5000 word articles are sought from potential contributors to CST, and must
be submitted electronically by 1 December (for the March issue). They
should follow the format outlined below and be accompanied by an abstract
of 100-150 words. Acknowledgement of receipt will be given and contribution
refereed anonymously.  Articles should be in English.  Authors are
responsible for obtaining permissions from copyright holders for
reproducing any previously published material. Unsolicited manuscripts will
not be returned.

Format for Submitted Work
Articles must be typed in double spacing.  British spelling should be used
except in the case of words where the 'z' has generally replaced the 's'
e.g. organize. Use italic type as appropriate for titles of publications
and single quotation marks for articles.  Tables and figures should be
clearly labelled and explained in the text. Essential endnotes should be
indicated by superscript figures in the text and collected on a single page
at the end of the article.  References cited in the text should read
thus:  (Jenkins 1992: 63-4), (Jenkins and Jones: 1987, 1980).  Use 'et al.'
when citing a work by more than two authors, e.g. (Jenkins et al.
1988).  The letters a, b, c etc. should be used to distinguish different
citations by the same author in the same year, e.g. (Jenkins 1985a, 1985b).
All references cited in the text should be listed alphabetically and in
full after the notes, using the following style:

Akass, Kim and Janet McCabe (2004) 'Ms Parker and the Vicious Circle:
Female Narrative and Humour in Sex and the City.' In Kim Akass and Janet
McCabe (eds) Reading 'Sex and the City'. London: I.B. Tauris: 177-198.
Battles, Kathleen and Wendy Hilton-Morrow (2002) 'Gay Characters in
Conventional Spaces: Will and Grace and the Situation Comedy Genre.'
Cultural Studies in Media Communication. 19.1: 87-105.
Coren, Victoria. 'Sex and the City Has Betrayed Us Single Women.' Evening
Standard. 3 January 2003: 11.
Gibson, Janine. 'Miranda, My Hero'. 21 February 2003. www.guardian.co.uk.
Lavery, David, ed. (2002) This Thing of Ours: Investigating 'The Sopranos'.
Columbia: Columbia University Press.
Nelson, Robin (1997) TV Drama in Transition: Forms, Values and Cultural
Change. London: MacMillan.

For submitted articles, the name(s) of the author(s) should appear on a
separate title page only.

Proposed contributions should be e-mailed in the first instance to the CST
Administrator: <mailto:(janet /at/ cst.com)>(editors /at/ criticalstudiesintelevision.com).

Any hard correspondence should be addressed sent to:
CST Administrator,
Critical Studies in Television,
Department of Contemporary Arts,
Manchester Metropolitan University,
MMU Cheshire,
Crewe Green Road,
Crewe, CW1 5DU.

For further details on CST, see:
<http://www.criticalstudiesintelevision.com/>www.criticalstudiesintelevision.com

+++

CALL FOR PAPERS: TV Shorts.
[...]

2500 word articles are sought from potential contributors to the TV Shorts
section in CST, and must be submitted electronically to the administrator.
It is hoped that these shorter articles will react to current trends in
television fictions, offering polemic argument and an immediate response.
There is no set deadline for the TV Shorts. Instead submit paper as and
when. To ensure a quick turnaround, the editorial panel will approve these
pieces prior to posting. Writers of the best contributions will be invited
to re-work and extend their piece for possible publication in the hard copy
issue. Articles should be in English.

Contributions from post-graduates and aspiring researchers would also be
welcome.

Format for Submitted Work
TV Shorts must be typed in double spacing.  British spelling should be used
[...]

Proposed contributions to the TV Shorts section should be e-mailed in the
first instance to the CST Administrator:
<mailto:(editors /at/ criticalstudiesintelevision.com)>(editors /at/ criticalstudiesintelevision.com)

Any hard correspondence should be addressed sent to:
CST Administrator,
Critical Studies in Television,
Department of Contemporary Arts,
Manchester Metropolitan University,
MMU Cheshire,
Crewe Green Road,
Crewe, CW1 5DU.

For further details on CST, see:
<http://www.criticalstudiesintelevision.com/>www.criticalstudiesintelevision.com

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
Office: 5B.454
European Consortium for Communication Research
Web: http://www.eccr.info