[eccr] Ofcom media literacy seminar 2nd November 2004

Fri Oct 22 14:23:19 GMT 2004

>Ofcom is holding an academic seminar at its London office on the afternoon
>of Tuesday 2nd November. This is to discuss and debate the interim findings
>of two reviews of recent academic literature on the subject of media
>literacy. There are a limited number of places still available for this
>event for those working in the academic field of media literacy or related
>areas.
>
>Ofcom is the regulator for the UK communications industries, with
>responsibilities across television, radio, telecommunications and wireless
>communications services. It assumed its powers under the Communications Act
>2003 in December last year. The promotion of media literacy is a new duty
>for Ofcom arising from Section 11 of the Act. During the summer Ofcom
>carried out a consultation on its proposed definition, strategy and
>priorities for the promotion of media. The consultation document and the
>http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultations/past/strategymedialit/?a=87101
>
>Based in part on the suggestions made in the consultation responses Ofcom
>has commissioned Professor Sonia Livingstone of the LSE and Professor David
>Buckingham of the Institute of Education to carry out reviews of recent
>academic literature on media literacy. Their work provides a valuable
>update and extension of an earlier review conducted on behalf of the
>Independent Television Commission, Broadcasting Standards Commission and
>NIACE published in March 2003. The findings from the reviews will be used
>to inform Ofcom's thinking about research methods and the key questions and
>issues to address in our research programme.
>
>The aim of the reviews is to provide a succinct analysis of academic work
>in adult (Sonia Livingstone) and young people's (David Buckingham) media
>literacy. Attention is being focussed on such matters as identifying the
>main barriers to, and enablers of, media literacy and establishing current
>gaps in academic research.
>
>The seminar will consist of a presentation of the main interim findings of
>the reviews followed by an opportunity to discuss these and any related
>issues. A note of the broad issues discussed will be made available
>following the event. The reviews are due to be published later this year.
>The details of the event are as follows:
>
>14.00 Registration and tea/coffee
>14.30 Seminar
>16.30 Close
>
>Venue: Ofcom, Riverside House, 2a Southwark Bridge Road, London SE1 9HA. A
>map is available on Ofcom's website at www.ofcom.org.uk/images/main/rh_map
>
>RSVP: (medialiteracy /at/ ofcom.org.uk) or tel Sara Winter on 020 7981 3868.
>Places are limited and will be filled on a first come first served basis.
>Please therefore let us know as soon as possible and in any event by no
>later than Wednesday 27 October. It would be helpful if in your request you
>could give details of your organisation (if any), job title and areas of
> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
Office: 5B.454
European Consortium for Communication Research
Web: http://www.eccr.info