Archive for October 2002

European Research gets go-ahead. The five Specific Programmes of the 6th Framework Programme adopted by Council

Fri Oct 04 08:20:51 GMT 2002

Title: European Research gets go-ahead. The five Specific Programmes of the 6th Framework Programme adopted by Council
European Research gets go-ahead. The five Specific Programmes of the 6th Framework Programme adopted by Council

Date    Â :     30/09/2002
News item    Â :     Press release
Policy area    Â :     Competitiveness (Internal Market, Industry and Research)

The Competitiveness Council today gave the decisive go-ahead for the EU’s new €17.5 bn 6th Framework Programme (2002-2006). This means that activities can be launched before the 5th Framework Programme expires by the end of this year.

The new Framework Programme has been negotiated for more than two years. It contains a number of novelties, both with regard to areas eligible to Community funding and the types of instruments that will be used for its implementation.

Seven priority themes have been set up covering a broad range of fields from genomics and information technologies to food quality and global change, just to mention some. Fields within the nuclear energy sector are covered by two specific programmes based on the Euratom Treaty. Activities at the Joint Research Center will also be financed through specific programmes.

Moreover, the 6th Framework Programme is the first Framework Programme to explicitely address the ambition of creating a European Research Area. Coordination and networking of national RTD policies will constitute an important part of the activitities.

The Danish Minister for Science, Technology and Innovation, Mr. Helge Sander, presided at the Council adopting the Specific Programmes. He says,

‘ I feel very relieved and happy over the fact that we have now finally reached an agreement on the five Specific Programmes. This means that research activities can start very soon.

I would like to pay credite to previous Presidencies who contributed to this result, in particular to the Spanish who successfully obtained the necessary agreement on the Framework Programme decision itself and the Rules for Participation.

The Danish Presidency could also benefit from ideas put forward by its predecessor during the difficult discussions concerning bioethical issues. I am convinced that the result that the Council has reached in this particular area is one of balance and appropriate broadness.

I am now looking forward to seeing the whole of the European research community prosper following today’s decision. Not just in EU Member States, but in associated States as well and in cooperation with partners in third countries - in a joint effort to develop the European Research Area.’

Source:
http://www.eu2002.dk/news/news_read.asp?iInformationID=22903