Archive for publications, February 2024

[Commlist] IJoC Publishes a Book Review Forum on Eszter Hargittai's Connected in Isolation

Fri Feb 09 22:30:19 GMT 2024

International Journal of Communication Publishes a Book Review Forum on
Eszter Hargittai's Connected in Isolation

One of the wonderful affordances of non-commercial online publishing is the
ability to solicit and present contributions that fall outside the narrow
confines of scholarly research articles. As one of IJoC's core missions is
to raise the profile (and increase the quantity) of book reviews, we have
occasionally taken the opportunity provided by the publication of a
provocative and timely book to invite a number of colleagues to reflect on
the questions and issues raised by that work, followed by a response from
the author. The recent publication of Eszter Hargittai's Connected in
Isolation: Digital Privilege in Unsettling Times was just such an occasion
and our judgment was quickly confirmed by the enthusiasm of the colleagues
we approached. Thus, it is indeed a pleasure for us to present a collection
of insightful and stimulating responses to a book that is sure to become a
milestone in contemporary media scholarship. The distinguished colleagues who have contributed to this forum are Paul
DiMaggio, New York University; Hyunjin Seo, University of Kansas; Daniel
Kreiss, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill; Amy Gonzales,
University of California, Santa Barbara; Lee Humphreys, Cornell University;
Teresa Correa, Universidad Diego Portales; Dmitry Epstein, The Hebrew
University of Jerusalem; Kevin Munger, Pennsylvania State University; and
Gerard Goggin, University of Sydney and Victor Kuansong Zhuang, National
Technological University.

On a personal note, as the now-retired founding editor of IJoC, I am
particularly pleased that this Forum is among my final editorial tasks, as
it represents many of the qualities IJoC was intended to embody and that I
am confident will be continued and strengthened by the current editor and
our colleagues.
We invite you to read these articles that published in the International
Journal of Communication on February 7, 2024. Please log into ijoc.org to
read the papers of interest. We look forward to your feedback!
Larry Gross
Founding Editor

Studying the Fire From Inside the Burning Building: Reflections on Connected
in Isolation by Eszter Hargittai
Paul DiMaggio

Reflections on Connected in Isolation
Hyunjin Seo

What Does it Mean to be Connected in Isolation?
Daniel Kreiss

What is 21st-Century Digital Autonomy? Amy Gonzales

Connected in Isolation: How Zoom Enabled Ritual Communication for the
Digitally Privileged During the Pandemic Lockdown
Lee Humphreys

Personal Reflections on Our Context and Cognitive Digital Skills
Teresa Correa

Exposed in Isolation
Dmitry Epstein

Temporality and Truth in Connected in Isolation
Kevin Munger

Disability and Digital Connection in COVID-19 Times
Gerard Goggin, Kuansong Victor Zhuang

Increasing the Scope of Digital Inequality Research and Addressing
Methodological Challenges: A Response to Book Forum Contributions
Eszter Hargittai

Silvio Waisbord, Editor Kady Bell-Garcia, Managing Editor
Chi Zhang, Managing Editor, Special Sections
Mark Mangoba-Agustin, Webmaster
 Please note that according to the latest Google Scholar statistics, IJoC
ranks 7th among all Humanities journals and 8th among all Communications
journals in the world — demonstrating the viability of open access
scholarly publication at the highest level.

Annenberg Press
(annpress /at/ usc.edu)
International Journal of Communication
USC Annenberg Press
Annenberg School of Communication & Journalism
University of Southern California