Archive for publications, August 2022

[Commlist] New Book: Is Star Trek Utopia? Investigating a Perfect Future

Mon Aug 01 12:30:50 GMT 2022

Sebastian Stoppe
Is Star Trek Utopia? Investigating a Perfect Future

McFarland & Co. Publishers
204 pp.
ISBN (print) 978-1-4766-8636-3
ISBN (ebook) 978-1-4766-4668-8

Star Trek has transcended science fiction through its use of elements that have crucial roles in classical utopian tradition. New technologies change a civilization, a miniature society unfolds on a spaceship, and an android teaches humanity. Star Trek has been answering many questions about our own world for 50+ years, and since the days of Captain Kirk, the franchise has become one of the world's best-known cultural phenomena. This book documents what the Star Trek franchise has in common with classic utopias. Chapters analyze how technology changes society and how the Federation embodies utopian ideals. Also explored are the political relations among alien species that reflect past and present conflicts in our real world and how the Borg resembles an anti-utopian society.

https://mcfarlandbooks.com/product/is-star-trek-utopia/

Table of Contents

Preface 1
Introduction: Why Star Trek Matters 5
1. The Meaning of Utopia  11
2. How Technology Changes Society 41
3. Life in Space: Utopia on a Ship 57
4. Politics in Star Trek 73
5. ­­Anti-Utopia: The Borg 125
6. ­­Post-Utopia: Does Star Trek Become Darker? 141
7. How Utopian Is Star Trek? 158
Chapter Notes 165
Works Cited 175
Index 191