Archive for publications, 2020

[Commlist] New issue of Feminist Encounters

Mon Apr 13 21:50:05 GMT 2020

Feminist Comics in an International Frame

Edited by Sally R Munt, Rose Richards and Nicola Streeten

http://www.lectitopublishing.nl/feminist-encounters

“This special issue of 16 academic articles, which has been jointly edited by Sally R Munt, Rose Richards and comic artist Nicola Streeten, is focussed on exploring how comics and graphic narratives have engaged with feminist politics. We have brought together artists and critics from a range of countries to discuss and debate how artists represent and debate gender, with examples of comics taken from Japan, Nepal, India, UK, China, Mexico, Democratic Republic of theCongo, Egypt, Argentina, Turkey, Hong Kong, and South Africa. We are thrilled to bring this content to our readers; the special issue offers a snapshot of how international comic art can politicise gender in the twenty-first century. Framing our special issue on comics is an exploration of global comic diversity and local specificity, as each of the texts discussed exists in a dynamic intertextuality between the local and global production and consumption of popular culture.”