Archive for publications, 2020

[Commlist] New book: The Digital City

Fri Jan 31 18:21:12 GMT 2020

New book from NYU Press, /The Digital City: Media and the Social Production of Urban Place/
by Germaine R. Halegoua

https://nyupress.org/9781479882199/the-digital-city/

/The Digital City/ focuses on the interface of people, urban place, and the role that digital media plays in place-making endeavors. Critics have understood digital media as forces that alienate and disembed users from space and place. This book argues that the exact opposite processes are observable: that many different actors are consciously and habitually using digital technologies to re-embed themselves within urban space.

Five case studies from global and mid-sized cities around the world illustrate the concept of “re-placeing” by showing how different populations employ urban broadband networks, social and locative media platforms, digital navigation practices, smart cities, and creative placemaking initiatives to re-produce abstract urban spaces as inhabited places with deep meanings and emotional attachments.

Through clear and accessible language and timely narratives of everyday urban life, Halegoua argues that a sense of place is integral to understanding contemporary relationships with digital media while highlighting our own awareness of the places where we find ourselves and where our technologies find and place us. Through ethnographic and discourse analysis of everyday digital media practices and technologies this book expands practical and theoretical understandings of how urban planners envision and plan connected cities, the role of urban communities in shaping and interpreting digital architectures, and the tales of the city produced through mobile and web-based platforms. Digital connectivity is reshaping the city as well as the ways we navigate through it and belong within it. How this happens and the types of places we produce within these networked environments is what this book addresses.