Archive for publications, December 2010

[ecrea] Interface: a journal for and about social movements

Thu Dec 02 11:33:06 GMT 2010

 - apologies for crossposting -

*Interface: a journal for and about social movements

**Volume two, issue two

Voices of dissent: activists' engagements in the creation of alternative,
autonomous, radical and independent media**
*Volume two, issue two of *Interface*, a peer-reviewed e-journal produced
and refereed by social movement practitioners and engaged movement
researchers, is now out, on the special theme "Voices of dissent: activists=
'
engagements in the creation of alternative, autonomous, radical and
independent media".

*Interface* is open-access (free), global and programmatically multilingual=
.
Our overall aim is to "learn from each other's struggles": to develop a
dialogue between practitioners and researchers, but also between different
social movements, intellectual traditions and national contexts.

This new issue also marks the launch of our new website, which we hope will
make the site more accessible and support multilingual material and
translations in particular. The site is currently at
http://interfacejournal.nuim.ie but will be accessible through the existing
address of http://www.interfacejournal.net shortly. (The delay is due to th=
intervention of the IMF and more substantially weather-related problems in
Ireland.)

This issue of *Interface* includes 26 pieces in 4 languages by authors from
Austria, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia,
the Netherlands, Palestine, Russia, South Korea, Sweden, the UK and the US,
including:

*Theme-related articles:*

   - Tina Askanius and Nils Gustafsson, *Mainstreaming the alternative: the
   changing media practices of protest movements*
   - Patrick McCurdy, *Breaking the spiral of silence: the "media debate"
   within global justice movements. A case study of Dissent! and the Glenea=
gles
   G8 summit*
   - Tatiana Bazzichelli, *Towards a critique of social networking:
   practices of networking in grassroots communities from mail art to the c=
ase
   of Anna Adamolo*
   - Clemens Apprich, *Upload dissident culture: Public Netbase's
   intervention into digital and urban space*
   - Dongwon Jo, *Real-time networked media activism in the 2008 Chotbul
   protest*
   - Brigitte Geiger and Margit Hauser, *Medien der neuen Frauenbewegung in
   Archiv / Archiving feminist grassroots media*
   - Margaret Gillan, *Class and voice: challenges for grassroots community
   activists using media in 21st century Ireland*

*Other articles:

*

   - Philippe Lucas, *Patient-centred strategies to counter stigma,
   oppression and forced incarceration in the CSX and medical cannabis
   movements*
   - William K Carroll, *Crisis, movements, counter-hegemony: in search of
   the new*
   - Raphael Schlembach, *Towards a critique of anti-German "communism"*

*Action notes* from:

   - Cristina Guimar=E3es Oliveira and Odalisca Moraes, *Comunica=E7=E3o:
   Indicadores hist=F3ricos e culturais do Pina *
   - L=EDvia Moreira de Alc=E2ntara and Elder Gomes Barbosa, *Extens=E3o ou
   comunica=E7=E3o? O audiovisual como um instrumento facilitador da comuni=
ca=E7=E3o no
   assentamento do MST Olga Ben=E1rio*
   - Iyad Burnat, *The Bil'in model of wall resistance*

*A special section* is devoted to alternative international labour
communications, with contributions from Peter Waterman, Eric Lee and Dave
Hollis

*Key documents*: Chto Delat? *A declaration on politics, knowledge and
art *(Russian
and English versions)

*Response* by Peter Waterman to Colin Barker's piece on Solidarnosc in issu=
2/1, and response from Barker to Waterman

*Advance piece* for issue 3/1 (repression and social movements):
Tomas Mac Sheoin, *Policing and repression of anti-globalization protests
and movements: a bibliography of English-language material
*
This issue=92s *reviews* includes the following titles:

   - Clifford Bob, *The marketing of rebellion: insurgents, media and
   international activism*
   - John Charlton, *Don't you hear the H-Bomb's thunder? Youth and politic=
   on Tyneside in the late 'fifties and early 'sixties*
   - Jo Reger et al (eds), *Identity work in social movements*
   - Clemencia Rodriguez et al (eds), *Making our media: global initiatives
   towards a democratic public sphere.*

A *call for papers* for volume 3 issue 2 of *Interface* is now open, on the
theme of "Feminism, women's movements and women in movement" (submissions
deadline May 1 2011). We can review and publish articles in Afrikaans,
Catalan, Croatian, Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Hungarian,
Italian, Maltese, Norwegian, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian,
Spanish, Swedish, Turkish and Zulu.

The website has full details on how to submit articles for this issue.

Volume 3, issue 2 on "Repression and social movements" is due to be
published in May 2011.

*Interface* is always looking for translators to help with our multilingual
project and website editors who can help with Wordpress. We are also lookin=
for activists or academics interested in helping out, particularly but not
only with our African, South Asian, Spanish-speaking Latin American, East
and Central European, and Oceania / SE Asian groups. More details on our
website.

*Please forward this to anyone you think may be interested.
*
Alice Mattoni, PhD
Department of Political and Social Sciences
European University Institute

Badia Fiesolana
Via dei Roccettini 9
I-50014 San Domenico di Fiesole (FI)