Archive for publications, 2004

[eccr] New issue of Media and Gender Monitor on the WACC site

Tue Mar 30 19:21:52 GMT 2004

>New Today on WACCs website: A full new issue of Media and Gender Monitor
>

>*** Global Media Monitoring Project Award Nomination ***
>The Global Media Monitoring Project (GMMP) will be 10 years old in 2005
>and while numerous gender and communication activists, policy makers and
>academics have over the years recognized the importance of GMMP as a tool
>for change, to date there has been no formal recognition of the project.
>All that changed at the end of last year when Dr Karen Ross, Reader in
>Mass Communication and Director of the Centre for Communication, Culture
>and Media Studies at the University of Coventry in the UK nominated GMMP
>for the award of Most Important Applied/ Public Policy Research
>Programme of the Feminist Scholarship Division of the International
>Communication Association (ICA).
>http://www.wacc.org.uk/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1522
>

>*** Why Gender Still Matters... ***
>... or how I learned to embrace feminism and accept my place in the
>awkward squad
>
>Ten years ago, in 1994, I embarked on what was to become a significant
>research interest for me when I decided to monitor the medias portrayal
>of the contest for the leadership of the British Labour Party, a contest
>provoked by the sudden death of the then leader, John Smith.
>http://www.wacc.org.uk/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1521
>

>*** Caught in a Dilemma? Hiv/Aids, Gender and the Media ***
>Over 22 millions people have died of AIDS related illnesses in the last 20
>years and more than 42 million people are currently infected with a virus
>which was unknown in 1980 (UNAIDS 2002). While HIV/AIDS  is the largest
>health issue currently facing the world, the epidemic is a gender issue.
>Statistics prove that both the spread and impact of HIV/AIDS is not random.
>http://www.wacc.org.uk/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1520
>

>*** Report from Canada ***
>Kristine Greenaway is currently working with Canada's Department of
>Foreign Affairs and International Trade in Ottawa after a term with the
>World Council of Churches in Geneva, where she worked on a number of
>issues, including HIV/AIDS. Kristine has been active with WACC since 1989,
>having served as Vice President for the North American Regional
>Association of WACC and as a member of the Central Committee. She has a
>B.A. in French literature, a post-graduate diploma in communication arts,
>and an M. Ed. in Adult Education. Kristine is a member of The United
>Church of Canada.
>http://www.wacc.org.uk/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1519
>

>*** Report from South Africa ***
>Judith Smith Vialva is director of the Cape Town-based Southern African
>Media and Gender Institute (SAMGI) - an NGO that works on media and
>HIV/AIDS issues, among others. Judith has a long history working in the
>field of media and gender and is a prominent activist.  Her interest in
> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
Office: C0.05
European Consortium for Communication Research
Web: http://www.eccr.info