[Commlist] CfP (Media) Storytelling in the Times of Technological Changes and Challenges

Wed Aug 21 10:45:49 GMT 2024

Call for Papers for the conference

"Storytelling in Times of Technological Changes and Challenges"

that will take place at Prague City University on the 5th November, 2024.

This call seeks papers to be presented at a conference that will focus on the (media) storytelling and its changes and challenges that are connected with technical developments of the last decade. We seek contributions that will discuss storytelling from the perspective of production, dissemination, reception of, or interaction with technologically mediated stories – in the context of traditional media (film, television, radio) as well as new technologies (computer games, social media, algorithms, or AI). The conference also welcomes papers that will reflect on the cultural changes and crises of today's world that are caused and perpetuated (not only) by technological developments, and technologically mediated and consumed stories. The contributions can focus on but are not limited to the following topics.
- Technology and computer science in storytelling and audiovisual media.
- Populist and manipulative use of media, technology, and AI.
- Immersive and virtual experiences and media reception.
- New and enhanced media participation and prosumerism.
- Social responsibility of computer science.
We appreciate a diversity of approaches and topical focuses.

>>> Please submit your abstract (250–400 words) via an online form (https://forms.gle/yeXzz4pd7feWaNMR8 <https://forms.gle/yeXzz4pd7feWaNMR8>) by September 16, 2024.
You will receive the decision on acceptance of the abstract by September 30.

>>> Selected presenters will be asked to rework their papers into book chapters for the book Challenges in Media Storytelling which is prepared by Prague City University (ed. Zdeněk Sloboda, Maia Horniak) for publication in 2025.

>>> Contact person: Mgr. Zdenek Sloboda, Ph.D., (zdenek.sloboda /at/ praguecityuniversity.cz) <mailto:(zdenek.sloboda /at/ praguecityuniversity.cz)>

 >>> Conference Topic:
McLuhan's (1964) notion that communication and media technology is the crucial aspect that shapes communication’s content, its presentation, but also the art of individual reception, and at the same time having crucial systemic societal implications has been an increasingly relevant perspective on today’s society and social life. Henry Jenkins, for example, called this transformation of society a participatory culture (1992), which has transformed the ways how people think, act and structure society due to different possibilities of reception of mediated communication and of interaction with omnipresent media contents and their producers. However, it is under the influence of computerization (e.g., White 1980), digitalization and the advent of the so-called new media (e.g., Manovich 2002) with their strongly convergent nature, which is manifested not only in the convergence of content but also in the convergence and innovation in technological platforms, that Jenkins speaks of a convergence culture (2006). Current developments in the use of AI and immersive technologies pose additional challenges and the transformation of today’s culture and societies. Yet, storytelling was, is and it seems it will be the ultimate characteristic of communication (e.g., Weedon 2018, Spaulding 2011) of both interpersonal and (technologically) mediated – i.e., television, film, audio/radio – character (e.g., Fiske 1987, Thompson 2003). Today’s technological development (digitalisation, computerisation, gamification, algorithmisation or AI) reshapes, innovates and opens new forms of both production and distribution (e.g., Poell, Nieborg, Duffy 2022, Klaß 2019, Sanchez-Lopez et al. 2020, Gitner 2022, Manu 2024, Pizzo et al. 2024), as well as consumption of stories leading to participatory, immersive (Dowling 2019, Kerrison 2022), augmented or virtual (reality) (i.e., Panhale, Bryce, Tshougkou 2020, Schein 2024). Furthermore, stories have become pivotal for nowadays consumption of information and knowledge in the technologized society and thus exercise a pressure on information and computer technologies and their both producers and users (e.g., McDowell 2021). This all opens many practical, empirical, theoretical and, of course, ethical arenas for discussion, conceptualisation and implementation.