Archive for calls, May 2022

[Commlist] cfp: Marking a 100 years of BBC (RADIO) Broadcasting

Mon May 16 18:48:19 GMT 2022

We would like to remind you of the ongoing Calls for Panels and Papers for forthcoming events marking the centenary of the BBC. Please support these activities yourself and/or recommend to your postgraduate students.

Firstly, the AHRC-funded Symposium in Bradford's National Science and Media Museum (and online) on 14-15 Sept aims to "take stock of research about the past century of British broadcasting by scholars in history, media and cultural studies, literary criticism, music, technology and related fields [and] explore what conceptual and logistical changes are needed to foster new directions in research and teaching."

There is no conference registration fee, but all participants will need to cover their own travel and accommodation except for postgraduates, who can apply for help with travel. Any queries should be sent to Marcus Collins, AHRC BBC 100 Fellow and Reader in Contemporary History at Loughborough University ((marcus.collins /at/ lboro.ac.uk)).

This two-day Bradford symposium will feature two types of sessions: Workshops run by archivists; and Roundtable discussions. (No papers will be presented). The Radio Studies Network is putting together a roundtable proposal with our Vice-Chair Alex Kocic, so please let us know if you are interested. We need to submit our application to Marcus before the end of Monday 23 May.

Secondly, our own event is a one-day Conference planned for Saturday 26th November at the University of Bedfordshire (Luton campus). We are inviting paper proposals for 15-minute presentations from academics, independent researchers, archivists, postgraduate students, and broadcast professionals and practitioners. We are open to critical perspectives and encourage comparative case studies too, in addition to any papers with a more celebratory tone. We are happy to receive proposed panels comprising no more than 4 papers each but reserve the right to organise these as we think best.

Our event will also feature keynote speakers: Professor David Hendy: Writer, broadcaster and Professor Emeritus of Media and Cultural History at the University of Sussex and Dr. Gurvinder Aujla-Sidhu: Associate Professor Journalism, University of Derby.
Proposals are invited on, but not limited to, the following key themes:
●	Perspectives on BBC Radio as a public service broadcaster
● The ongoing cultural relevance of radio in terms of reporting on, shaping and reflecting our society
●	The reach, value, and impact of BBC Radio news
●	BBC Local Radio, digital services, BBC Sounds
●	The role of BBC World Service Radio and BBC services overseas
●	Broadcaster and audience diversity and inclusivity
●	BBC Radio’s engagement with community broadcasters
● The role of BBC Radio in the representation of minority and under-represented communities
●	BBC Radio and its relationship with its audience(s)
●	BBC and the public sphere
● Digital technologies and the changing nature of audiences and their influence on BBC Radio ● BBC School Radio, Bite Size, Academy - appealing to new audiences, children, youth and young adults ● The development and impact of new radio production and broadcast practices, skills and technologies ● Policies and potential; the extent to which BBC Radio achieves its aims
●	The importance of creating, curating and keeping accessible archives
●	BBC Radio’s financial future
●	BBC Radio as a training ground for broadcasters and centre of excellence

Submitting a proposal
Please use the following format for proposals:
●	Name, affiliation, and email
●	Title of paper or presentation
●	250-word abstract ●	100-word biography
●	Send proposals as a Word doc by email to: (radiostudiesnetwork /at/ gmail.com)
●	Deadline for proposals: midnight, Monday 13th June 2022