Archive for calls, May 2022

[Commlist] Call for Papers ICIDS 2022: Speculative Horizons

Mon May 02 17:59:51 GMT 2022

CALL FOR PAPERS International Conference on Interactive Digital Storytelling December 4-7, 2022 Santa Cruz, California, USA

ICIDS is the premier conference for researchers and practitioners concerned with studying digital interactive forms of narrative from a variety of perspectives, including theoretical, technological, and applied design lenses. The annual conference is an interdisciplinary gathering that combines technology-focused approaches with humanities-inspired theoretical inquiry, empirical research and artistic expression. ICIDS 2022 is the 15^th edition of the conference and will be presented as a fully hybrid event.

THEME: SPECULATIVE HORIZONS

The theme for the conference this year is /Speculative Horizons/. We are motivated to consider the future and its relationship to Interactive Digital Storytelling. In our contemporary times where we are confronting global disasters, from war to pandemics, and where we are challenged by the ever-increasing impacts of climate change and the toll of other human interventions on our worlds and cultures, what can we foresee and foretell about what is next on the horizon? How can interactive digital storytelling be a call to action, a mode for healing and peace, or a method of intimate communication to help us visualize, empathize and consider what might be at stake in our worlds and how we can intervene? We aim to explore the ways that narratives, technologies, systems, cultures, and creators can situate and motivate us, attuning us to a present reality, while looking forward to an unknown and uncertain future that we may, or may not, be able to change. What should we know now to aid us in the journey forward?

We encourage authors to consider possible connections to this theme and we will foreground contributions that focus on the topic. But we also emphasize that there is no requirement that papers or workshops reflect the theme, either implicitly or explicitly - it is meant only as inspiration and is not intended to impose a constraint on other possible contributions and topics relevant to the field of Interactive Digital Storytelling. To that end, we also suggest other areas and modes for presentation, including papers, posters and demos.

AREAS OF INTEREST

Paper and poster/demo submissions are invited into one of the following main conference areas listed below. Please note that the defined areas are intended to be general and we invite authors to interpret them broadly. They are meant to help us find appropriate reviewers and to design a program that reflects a diverse range of interests on the topic of Interactive Digital Storytelling.

·Interactive Narrative Design

·              Social and Cultural Contexts

·              Theory, History and Foundations

·              Tools and Systems

·              Virtual Worlds, Performance, Games and Play

·              Applications and Case Studies

WORKSHOPS, CREATIVE TRACK, AND DOCTORAL CONSORTIUM

ICIDS will also host a series of workshops, demos, an exhibition of creative works, and a doctoral consortium for student researchers. The calls for these will be available separately on the website.

SUBMISSION CATEGORIES

Papers may be either long or short, but should present interesting and novel work at all stages of completion (preliminary or complete). The appropriate length should be determined by the author(s) to best represent the material they choose to foreground. All papers may contain images and/or figures.

− Full papers (4000-6000 words, excluding references, to be published in the proceedings).

− Short papers (2000-4000 words, excluding references, to be published in the proceedings).

− Posters and demos (2000 words, excluding references, to be published in the proceedings) describing works in progress, or working, presentable systems, or brief explanations of a research project. Poster and demos should be selected if the paper format is unsuitable for representing the proposed research.

Submissions should be made through Easychair: https://easychair.org/

Please note that papers must be written in English, and only electronic submissions in PDF format will be considered for review. Publication is conditional on a minimum of one author registering for the conference to present the work to the community. Successful submissions will be included as part of the conference proceedings published by Springer. All submissions must follow the Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS) format, available at:<http://www.springer.com/computer/lncs>http://www.springer.com/computer/lncs <http://www.springer.com/computer/lncs>.__

Authors should consult Springer’s authors’ instructions and use their proceedings templates, either for LaTeX or for Word, for the preparation of their papers. Springer’s proceedings LaTeX templates are available in<https://www.overleaf.com/latex/templates/springer-lecture-notes-in-computer-science/kzwwpvhwnvfj#.WsdHOy5uZpg>Overleaf <https://www.overleaf.com/latex/templates/springer-lecture-notes-in-computer-science/kzwwpvhwnvfj#.WsdHOy5uZpg>. Springer encourages authors to include their<https://www.springer.com/gp/authors-editors/orcid?wt_mc=Other.Other.1.AUT642.ORCID%2Bproceedings%2Bpilot%2B2017&utm_medium=other&utm_source=other&utm_content=8232017&utm_campaign=1_barz01_orcid%2Bproceedings%2Bpilot%2B2017>ORCIDs <https://www.springer.com/gp/authors-editors/orcid?wt_mc=Other.Other.1.AUT642.ORCID%2Bproceedings%2Bpilot%2B2017&utm_medium=other&utm_source=other&utm_content=8232017&utm_campaign=1_barz01_orcid%2Bproceedings%2Bpilot%2B2017>in their papers. In addition, the corresponding author of each paper, acting on behalf of all of the authors of that paper, must complete and sign a Consent-to-Publish form. The corresponding author signing the copyright form should match the corresponding author marked on the paper. Once the files have been sent to Springer, changes relating to the authorship of the papers cannot be made.

Provisions with regards to the Covid-19 pandemic and other international irregularities: If none of the authors of a paper can attend the conference, publication of the proceedings will go ahead and will be conditional on registration and remote presentation (either live or as a pre-recorded video, depending on the final arrangements).

IMPORTANT DATES

June 1^st                                 Easy Chair open for submissions

July 15^th                                Submission deadline (full, short, poster/demo)

September 2^nd                   Reviews released to authors, start of rebuttal phase

September 23^rd                  Final decisions sent to authors

September 30^th                  Camera ready papers due

ICIDS 2022 General Chairs: Michael Mateas * UC Santa Cruz,  David Lamas * Tallinn University

ICIDS 2022 Program Chairs: Mirjam Vosmeer * Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences, Lissa Holloway-Attaway * University of Skövde

General Conference Contact: icids2022@ardin.online

Conference Website: https://icids2022.ardin.online/

Social media: https://www.facebook.com/ICIDS <https://www.facebook.com/ICIDS>, https://twitter.com/icids <https://twitter.com/icids>

ICIDS is the main academic conference of the Association for Research in Digital Interactive Narratives (ARDIN)