[Commlist] IVSA 2020 Dublin: Call for Abstracts

Tue Dec 03 16:04:23 GMT 2019

*IVSA Dublin 2020
Call for Papers*

_Abstract Submission Deadline: Monday 16 December 2019_
https://visualsociology.org/?page_id=936

You are invited to submit an abstract for the International Visual Sociology Association conference Dublin, this is an interdisciplinary scholarly meeting with a central concern on the visual, and the social, interdisciplinary, Media, and communications studies scholars, artists, and filmmakers are welcome.

*2020 Theme – Visualising Social Changes: Seen and Unseen – * highlights the reality that our societies are constantly changing from the individual level in our own everyday lives to the planet level effects of human induced climate change. It is also meant to confront those who wish to freeze and reverse social change, returning to a nostalgic populist past in which things were better and people were more like me. It is meant to challenge ourselves as visual scholars to address the conceptual and methodological issues that arise from attempting to visually document ever-changing social processes from a particular perspective using static or delimited moving forms such as photographs, video and film.

The 2020 International Visual Sociology Association Annual Conference at UCD in Dublin, Ireland invites abstracts for papers, photo essays, posters, films and workshops that explore the theme “Visualising Social Changes: Seen and Unseen”.

We also welcome abstracts that address topics relating more generally to visual theories and methods, and visual analysis of society and culture. These proposals need not specifically address the annual thematic stream in the conference.