Archive for calls, June 2018

[ecrea] CFP - Frankenstein Unbound: An Interdisciplinary Conference Exploring Mary Shelley and Gothic Legacies

Mon Jun 25 17:37:12 GMT 2018

    Frankenstein Unbound: An Interdisciplinary Conference Exploring Mary
    Shelley and Gothic Legacies

*
*

*DEADLINE FOR ABSTRACTS EXTENDED: 29th June 2018
*

**

*Dates:* Wednesday 31 October and Thursday 1 November 2018

*Venues:* Conference - St Peter’s Church, Bournemouth

*Keynote Speakers: *

  * Sir Christopher Frayling, Chancellor, Arts University Bournemouth
  * Professor Elaine Graham, University of Chester
  * Professor Sir Peter Cooke, CRAB Studios (TBC)

In 1849, Mary Shelley and Percy Shelley’s heart were brought to the graveyard of St. Peter’s Church in Bournemouth, where they were buried with the remains of Mary Shelley’s parents Mary Wollstonecraft and William Godwin.

In 2018, Arts University Bournemouth and St. Peter’s Church, in association with Bournemouth University, celebrate the bicentenary of the publication of Mary Shelley’s most famous work /Frankenstein, or the Modern Prometheus/ (1818) as part of the Shelley Frankenstein Festival. The academic conference, located at this unique venue, will offer new and re-situated perspectives on Mary Shelley and her writings, her family and circle, and her most famous work.  We are pleased to acknowledge colleagues at Bournemouth University for their organisational support.

 We invite papers and presentations themed around, but not limited to, the following:

  * Mary Shelley, Percy Shelley, and the Romantics
  * Mary Wollstonecraft and Mary Shelley
  * Mary Shelley beyond /Frankenstein/
  * The Shelley family: history and legacy
  * Monstrous Romantics
  * /Frankenstein/ and the sea
  * Theology and /Frankenstein/
  * /Frankenstein /and philosophy
  * /Frankenstein/ at home and abroad
  * Adaptations and afterlives
  * /Frankenstein/ and medical humanities
  * The abject and the sublime
  * /Frankenstein/ and emotion
  * Guilt and crime in /Frankenstein/
  * Interpretations of /Frankenstein/ in the creative industries (Film,
    Art, Theatre, Dance, Writing etc)
  * Mary Shelley and Gothic legacies
  * Gothic architecture
  * The Gothic imagination

//We welcome proposals for themed panel sessions (maximum three papers), individual twenty-minute presentations, or creative submissions from practitioners and scholars of all fields. We particularly encourage submissions from post-graduate students and Early Career Researchers. Please submit an abstract (300 words) and short biography (100 words) to (frankensteinunboundconference /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(frankensteinunboundconference /at/ gmail.com)> by Friday 29th June 2018.

For more information and updates visit our website: https://frankensteinunbound.wordpress.co <https://frankensteinunbound.wordpress.com/>