Archive for calls, April 2018

[ecrea] Call for Responses: Flow 2018

Wed Apr 11 14:04:44 GMT 2018

Call for Responses: Flow 2018 (September 27th-29th, Austin, TX)
*

With the casualization of labor and the instability of the job market, precarity has become an increasingly pressing issue for both the media industries and the academy. Equally precarious is the state of preservation, as the production and circulation of media content outstrips the resources and workforce assigned to preserve it. Woven throughout and between precarity and preservation is praxis, the ways in which labor, strategy, and skill are marshaled to combat these threats in the industry and in academia. As such, the 2018 Flow Conference, to be held September 27-29th at the University of Texas at Austin, has chosen to focus on this tripartite theme of precarity, preservation, and praxis.

After soliciting questions from the Flow community, we’re pleased to announce this year’s roundtable questions centered on a rich assortment of related topics and issues surrounding:

  *

    *Access & archives*

  *

    *Authorship & authority*

  *

    *History & materiality*

  *

    *Labor & compensation*

  *

    *Pedagogy & praxis*

  *

    *Policy & politics*

  *

    *Identity & nationality*

  *

    *Transcultural flows & borders*

  *

    *Precarity & professionalization*

  *

    *Technology & ephemerality*

*For the full list of questions and complete details on the conference and submission process, please visit the Flow conference website at www.flowjournal.org/flow-conference-2018-main <http://www.flowjournal.org/flow-conference-2018-main>/*

****

**We invite responses to the roundtable questions in the form of a brief (150-word) abstract. To ensure full consideration, please submit your abstract by Sunday, May 20 at 5 PM (CST). We will notify all participants via email in mid-June. Upon acceptance, respondents will be asked to expand their abstract to a 600-800 word position paper that will be due in late August 2018.**

**Please direct any questions or concerns to (flowconference2018 /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(flowconference2018 /at/ gmail.com)>.**

*