Archive for calls, February 2016

[ecrea] Extending Play 3 CFP

Tue Feb 16 18:01:09 GMT 2016

Call for Papers

Extending Play 3: Temporalities of Play

School of Communication & Information, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ

Conference Dates: Sept. 30 & Oct. 1, 2016

Proposals Due: April 3rd

“History is indeed absent from the game, absent as something finished,
as a storyline in the past tense. What replaces it is a history
workshop, a model of history as the intuition of algorithms and their
consequences. The gamer is a designer.”  --Mckenzie Wark, “Gamer Theory”

Extending Play is back, and this iteration will play with the concept of
time. We are looking for papers and presentations that excavate the
past, interpret the present, and forecast the future of play and games.

We aim to continue the mission of the previous two Extending Play
conferences, to entertain all approaches to the traditions, roles, and
contexts of play, extending it into far-flung and unexpected arenas.
Extending Play 3 will take an inclusive and pluralistic approach to
temporality and play, inviting creative applications of the concepts as
they relate to all things playable - from games and moving images, to
recorded sound and performance.

Extending Play 3 asks important questions about the temporalities of
play from emergent scholarly perspectives: Can media archaeology and
game preservation revise the history of games and play? Do new
methodologies, such as big data and network analysis force us to
reconsider the predictability of play? Can queer temporalities of play
produce new activist futures? How is gamification shaping our
experiences of time? How are notions of time and play constructed by
social scientists, humanists, preservationists, and policy researchers?

We invite scholars, students, makers, artists, archivists, visionaries,
game designers, and playersto the third iteration of the Rutgers Media
Studies Conference: Extending Play, to be held September 30 and October
1, 2016 on the Rutgers University campus in New Brunswick, NJ.
Submissions are welcomed from scholars working in media studies and all
related fields across the humanities and social sciences.

We are excited to announce our keynote conversations:

  *

    Wendy Chun (Brown University) and Matthew Kirschenbaum (University
    of Maryland).

  *

    Jesper Juul (Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts), plus one more TBA.

In keeping with the tripartite division of past, present, and future,
Extending Play invites three types of submissions -- papers, panels, and
interactive projects. The organizers invite traditional academic papers
and panels of 3-4 presenters, along with any form of game, performance
or display that submitters may wish to propose. In the past our
conference has presented traditional research presentations alongside:

  *

    workshops,

  *

    playtests,

  *

    finished games,

  *

    technology demos,

  *

    performance art,

  *

    happenings that defy classification.

For academic papers and panels,each presenter will have a maximum of 15
minutes to offer his or her ideas as a presentation or interactive
conversation, and/or may adopt a more creative approach, incorporating
such elements as:

  *

    material accompaniment (hand out a zine, scrapbook, postcards, etc)

  *

    performance (spoken word, song, verse, dance, recording, etc)

  *

    game (create rules and incorporate audience play)

Possible topics could include, but are not limited to:

Histories of Play

  *

    Historical approaches to leisure, recreation and play

  *

    History of video game consoles, arcades, cards, board games

  *

    Performance, intimacy, cosplay, and LARP

  *

    Urban play, play and city life

Preserving Play

  *

    Game preservation in archives, libraries, and museums

  *

    Aesthetics of emulation, remediation, adaptation, and porting

  *

    Playable media in history: moving images and sound through time

  *

    Materialities of board games, game packaging, and control interfaces

The Time of Play

  *

    Toys and play for children and adults

  *

    Playing with “lag”- network problems, hanging, buffering, glitching

  *

    Playing with narrative and storytelling

  *

    Political economies of play, (electronic) sports, and
    professionalizing play

Playing with Time

  *

    Gamification and playing with learning, learning while playing

  *

    Activist time, queer temporalities, and time-bending play

  *

    Gamifying time, speedrunning, or playing with current events

Predicting Play

  *

    Games of divination: I Ching, Tarot, Ouija, Palm reading, dice, oracles

  *

    Role of prediction in game studies methodologies (modeling behavior
    patterns, actions, etc.)

  *

    Prediction in game play, development of player networks

  *

    Playing with health and fitness, quantified selves and wearable
    technology

Future of Play (Studies)

  *

    Affective potentials of technology and play

  *

    Adaptive play and dis/ability studies

  *

    What will be the role of scholars in the future of play and games?

  *

    How do cheaters change games?

  *

    What’s next for play and game studies?

For additional ideas on how to play with media, play with time, or play
with space during your presentation, visit our website at
extendingplay.rutgers.edu <http://extendingplay.rutgers.edu>.

The deadline for proposals is Sunday, April 3, 2016.We invite individual
proposals, full panel proposals, and proposals for games, workshops or
other interactive presentations. Please use the submission form on our
website at http://extendingplay.rutgers.edu/submit/to submit an abstract
of about 250 words. If you would like to submit supplementary materials,
or have trouble with the form, email (extendingplay /at/ gmail.com)
<mailto:(extendingplay /at/ gmail.com)>. Notifications of acceptance will be
sent out by April 30th, 2016.