Archive for calls, January 2015

[ecrea] CFP New Materialisms IV Transversal Practices: Matter, Ecology, Relationality University of Melbourne

Tue Jan 13 13:08:31 GMT 2015

*2nd Call for papers *

*Transversal Practices: Matter, Ecology, Relationality*

*VI Conference on New Materialism*

27--29 September 2015

The Victorian College of the Arts

The University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia

Transversal Practices focuses on how things, subjects, collectives, politics and disciplines are in the making; how

they take-form and transform in relation to other elements, both human and nonhuman. Transversal Practices are

concerned with ecologies where intensities of movement are aligned with and embrace hands-on attitude and

artistic, scientific, ethnographical, philosophical and activist praxis.

We offer three keywords to inspire thinking and to carve out the specificities of practice. Matter refers to ubiquitous,

vibrant and continuous becoming that is one of the central concerns of New Materialism: practices are always

material, and surprising in nature. Ecology indicates an open and continuously transforming system, which depends

upon how its components relate to each other. Relationality, for its part, is the moving principle of being in the

world, or with the world. We become in relation to others. We co-emerge, as do artworks, ideas and collectives.

We welcome contributions that address, for example, the following questions:

How do transversal practices work and how can we account or conceptualise them? What kind of methodologies do

they necessitate, or call for?

We encourage critical approaches that transversally cross the following: collectivity, corporeality/incorporeality,

materiality/immateriality, indigeneity, individual/group subjectivity, knowledge-production/onto-epistemologies,

language, temporality, transdisciplinarity, processes of making art/philosophy/ activism, and the three Ss---spatiality,

sociality and the sensorium. All conference submissions will be referred with opportunities to submit completed

papers for a refereed publication.

*Confirmed Keynotes*

A/Professor Erin Manning, SenseLab, Concordia University, Canada

Professor Hayden Lorimer, University of Glasgow, Scotland

Professor Brian Martin, Deakin University, Australia

*Abstract Submissions*

Abstracts for academic papers, creative proposals and experimental and/or experiential laboratorium are invited

from scholars/writers/artists/scientists. Please submit a 250-word abstract or proposal with a title, keywords and

technical requirements along with a short 100 word biography via the Newmats2015 website template.

Submit your abstracts online by *16 February 2015* at: http://www.newmats2015.net/call-for-papers.html

*Contact*

Enquiries about the conference can be directed to: (admin /at/ newmats2015.net)

------

Dr Katve-Kaisa Kontturi

McKenzie Postdoctoral Fellow
Victorian College of the Arts
Faculty of VCA & MCM
University of Melbourne

Management committee member
Country coordinator (Finland)
Co-leader of "Embracing Creative Arts"
ISCH-COST action New Materialism
http://www.cost.eu/domains_actions/isch/Actions/IS1307
School of History, Culture, and Arts Studies
University of Turku
Finland