[ecrea] IV. International Conference on Conflict, Terrorism, and Society - "Framing Violence"

Fri Dec 19 22:08:00 GMT 2014

IV. INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON CONFLICT, TERRORISM, AND SOCIETY

"Framing Violence: Borders, Conflicts, and Identities”

We are pleased to announce the Fourth International Conference on Conflict, Terrorism and Society, to be held at Kadir Has University on April 7-8, 2015, in Istanbul.

The Organizing Committee cordially invites you to submit papers and posters.

Below is a copy of the Call for Papers and information regarding the conference. More details on the conference, including keynote speakers, will be posted as arrangements are finalized.

On behalf of the conference organizing committee, we look forward to your participation in this conference.

Conference Name: “Framing Violence: Borders, Conflicts, and Identities”
Place: Kadir Has University, Istanbul, TURKEY
Date: April 7-8, 2015
Language of Papers: English

Call for Papers:

From migration order in North America and Europe to the contemporary conflicts in the Middle East, borders and identities are at the heart of conflicts between and within nation-states, or between states and their citizens all around the world. People have historically been in constant flux across borders, sometimes against the will of the normative political organization, nation-state. At other times, their mobility is the driving force of global capitalism. The tension between mobility of bodies, labor, ideas, and identities and the force of borders, either on the maps or in the minds, has frequently turned into violent conflicts across globe. In each historical moment, the ways in which media have framed violence and the violent events have played a dramatic role in building or hibernating further diplomatic resolution, public apathy, or political and humanitarian agony.

This year’s theme is based on the ever-changing nature of borders and identities, and the conflicts occurring consequently. Especially during the last decade, we witnessed an increasing volume of conflicts affecting and being affected by existing borders and identities. At this point, we attempt to provide a platform to discuss how conflicts – as well as borders and identities – are portrayed in public discourse and how our understanding of contemporary events and concepts are influenced by these portrayals through political rhetoric, media frames, or other communicative tools.

The International Conference on Conflict, Terrorism, and Society aims to bring together interdisciplinary work that focuses on how and to what effect media discourses construct and frame violence, conflicts, and identities around the notions of borders and mobility. We invite abstracts that deal with the issues of identity, borders, conflict, and especially media’s framing of violence in relation to these issues.

Paper Topics include but are not limited to:

· Competing frames on borders and identities
· Narrative building in conflicts
· Changing physical and psychological borders
· Role of media reporting in conflicts
· Framing of conflicts in new media
· Citizen journalism and user-generated content
· Inter/cross-cultural communication in conflict zones
· Rights and freedoms during conflicts
· Construction, performance and communication of identities within and outside of border
· Framing violence: an ethical debate
· New trends and future of the field

Submit a 500 word maximum proposal or paper to:

Öznur Dursun
Faculty of Communications, Kadir Has University, Istanbul-TURKEY
(oznur.dursun /at/ khas.edu.tr)

Proposals should be submitted in the following order:

Name of the author(s)
Telephone, fax, and e-mail address
Affiliation
Title of proposal
Body of proposal

DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: January 23, 2015
You will be notified by February 13, 2015 regarding the status of your proposal.

For further information about the conference in general, contact:
Prof. Dr. Banu Baybars-Hawks ((banubhawks /at/ khas.edu.tr))

Banu Baybars Hawks, Ph.D.,
Professor
Chair of Public Relations and Information Department

Kadir Has University
Faculty of Communication
Cibali Main Campus
Kadir Has Caddesi