[ecrea] Call for Chapters: The Good and Bad of Internet Culture

Tue Aug 26 22:59:04 GMT 2014

Call for Chapters: Debates for a Digital Age: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly of our Online World

Danielle Sarver Coombs (Kent State University, USA) and Simon Collister (University of the Arts London, UK) are soliciting brief proposals for essays to be included in an upcoming two-volume anthology that will be published through Praeger/ABC-CLIO.

Structured in two volumes, this anthology examines issues related to the digital age—both the good (Volume 1) and the bad (Volume 2) in our contemporary Internet culture. The chapter titles/topics included in the tentative table of contents below provide starting points for a given issue, but individual authors may adapt them to fit their research interests. We also encourage submission of new topics that are not currently included in the list below.

Final essays will be about 5,000 to 6,000 words in length and will be due November 15, 2014. Essays may be slightly longer with permission from the editors. We encourage authors to take provocative, thought-provoking points of view in their chapters. While your thinking and arguments must be grounded in evidence, readers should be entertained while critically engaging in the issues covered in these volumes.

If you are interested in participating, please send a proposed title, brief synopsis (around 500 words) including in which volume you intend to publish, and your CV to Danielle Sarver Coombs ((dcoombs /at/ kent.edu)) and Simon Collister ((s.collister /at/ lcc.arts.ac.uk)) by September 15. The editors will send a style guide and further information to authors after assignment.

Tentative Table of Contents:

Volume 1: The Good

Accessibility

1

New audiences, new markets: Accessing music, movies, art, and writing at your leisure

2

Anything you want to know, you can find out: A changing understanding of knowledge, memory, and learning in a world of constant access

3

Using the Internet and social media to draw attention to global issues [ASSIGNED]

4

News from a global perspective: accessing BBC, NY Times, and Le Monde from one desk

5

Exposure to new ideas (i.e. the cultural significance and spread of memes)

6

Avoiding awkward moments with check-out clerks, or how watching porn online has saved my reputation

Democratization

7

Leaks, whistle-blowers, and radical transparency: government accountability in the Internet Age

8

Rallying the virtual troops: Using the Internet to foster revolution and political activism

9

Democratizing the media: The rise of the bloggerati and it’s impact on political/news elites

10

Ground-up expert: everyday people and blogs

11

Self-promotion for All!: Selfies, internet “fameballs” and microcelebrity

12

Education for all: MOOCs, online ed, and the accessibility of higher education [ASSIGNED]

Community/(Globalization)

13

Remember when?: Reconnecting with old friends, colleagues, and lovers via social media

14

Aspiration and inspiration: Finding role models and building friendships online

15

Je t’aime, te amo, and I love you: Finding love online, no matter where the other person lives

16

Always someone to play: Gaming in a digital world

17

So I’m not the only one!: Communities and shared interests

Volume 2: The Bad and the Ugly

Always On, Always There

1

So what is copyright again? Rethinking ownership in the Internet age

2

Say goodbye to privacy: public access to personal information [ASSIGNED]

3

Constant access keeps me tied to work, or, how my Crackberry has ruined my life

4

Information overload: how do you figure out what is relevant?

5

Innocence lost: Naked pictures and embarrassing nicknames are there for sharing

6

How to make a bomb, or why having limitless information can be a dangerous proposition

Democratization

7

Are info leakers blowing a whistle or committing treason?

8

Are all sources really equal? Credibility and news/The shift from the age of deference to the age of reference

9

All politics are personal, but are politician’s personal lives fair game?

10

All the snark that’s fit to print: Cynicism, news, and the digital age

11

Famous for being famous: Living in the age of celebrity

12

Online education: Diploma mills and degree dumps [ASSIGNED]

Community/Globalization

13

Traveling down the Silk Road: Online communities and the underground drug trade

14

More friends online than in real life: Gaming, MMRPGs, and real-life isolation

15

Romance scams: Finding out the hard way that desire for money can trump desire for love

16

Recruiting without borders: Using the Internet to recruit people from around the world to extremist causes

17

Building communities around deviance: Sharing child porn, snuff films, and violence in an unfettered environment

Simon Collister

Senior Lecturer

London College of Communication

University of the Arts London