[ecrea] Assistant Professor of Rhetoric Call

Fri Jul 25 22:00:49 GMT 2014

Our department is hiring in Rhetoric, looking in particular for someone who specializes in race, class, and/or postcolonialism.  Please pass this along to anyone you think might be interested, and feel free to put them in touch with me.  Thanks!

—Bill

Denison University Department of Communication

We invite applications for a tenure-track appointment in Rhetorical Studies at the level of Assistant Professor. A Ph.D. must be in hand when the appointment begins on August 15, 2015; preference will be given to Ph.D.’s in Communication.

Our department values and actively pursues outstanding teaching and research, diversity, and the liberal arts. We seek a colleague whose teaching and research interests include the history of rhetoric, deliberative democracy, and/or ethical perspectives on rhetorical theory and performance. We are particularly interested in candidates who demonstrate a critical interrogation of race/ethnicity, class politics, and/or postcolonialism.

The teaching load for tenure-track faculty in our department is 2/3, making Denison a supportive environment for teacher- scholars who value both classroom and research excellence. The successful candidate must teach courses similar to the Department’s current offerings in Rhetorical Studies as well as in the candidate’s area of specialization. In addition, the candidate is required to contribute to the Department’s core courses (Theorizing Communication and Research in Communication) and courses that help sustain the University’s commitment to Oral Communication across the Curriculum.

Our new colleague will contribute to our Department’s intra-disciplinary approach, demonstrate teaching excellence in a rigorous, well-rounded, undergraduate liberal arts curriculum in Communication, develop a program of research leading to peer-reviewed publication, and reflect strong commitments to departmental citizenship and university governance.

Candidates must apply online by uploading all required materials tohttps://employment.denison.edu. Applications not uploaded through this site will not be accepted. To apply, please upload a cover letter, CV, writing sample, a statement of your teaching philosophy as it addresses liberal arts education and diversity, and names and contact information (including email address) of three potential references. Additional materials may be requested at a later date.

We will begin reviewing applications on September 15, 2014. Applications submitted by December 31, 2014 will receive full consideration. Position open until filled. Questions about the position should be directed to Dr. Bill Kirkpatrick, Search Committee Chair ((kirkpatrickb /at/ denison.edu)).

Denison University is a national liberal arts university with roughly 2,000 undergraduates. We are located thirty miles from Columbus, Ohio, the state capitol, which hosts a wide range of cultural and artistic opportunities. Denison offers extensive support for junior faculty, including competitive professional-development funding, pre-tenure research leave after a successful third-year review, opportunities for student-faculty research collaboration, and a range of workshops and mentoring programs to develop our strengths as teacher-scholars.

Denison University is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer. To achieve our mission as a liberal arts college, we continually strive to foster a diverse campus community, which recognizes the value of all persons regardless of religion, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, disability, or socio-economic background. For additional information and resources about diversity at Denison please see our Diversity Guide athttp://denison.edu/forms/diversity-guide.

Bill Kirkpatrick
Associate Professor
Department of Communication
Queer Studies Program