[ecrea] CFP - St Andrews Postgraduate Film Studies Symposium: ANIMATION

Fri Jan 31 00:45:16 GMT 2014

Please note the deadline extension to February 7,  2014 for

*St Andrews Postgraduate Film Studies Symposium: ANIMATION*

*Keynote Speaker:* Dr Bella Honess Roe (University of Surrey)

*Location*: University of St Andrews, St Andrews, Scotland

*Date*: Wednesday 9 April 2014

*Deadline for proposals:* 7 February 2014

*Notifications of Decision:* 15 February 2014

The St Andrews Postgraduate Film Studies Symposium is an annual event organised by Film Students at the University of St Andrews. The aim of this day is to gather people interested in the elected topic and bring about new insights and debates in relation to that topic.

This year's symposium to be held on Wednesday 9 April 2014 will be dedicated to Animation, with a keynote address by Dr Bella Honess Roe (University of Surrey), expert in animated documentaries. The decision to focus this year's symposium on animation was in part motivated by the fact that 2014 marks the centennial of Scottish animator Norman McLaren's birthday. McLaren was an innovative artist, filmmaker and animator whose distinguished career spanned over fifty years and included accolades such as the 1953 Oscar for his short /Neighbours/ (1952) and the Palme d'Or at Cannes for /Blinkity Blank /(1955)/./ In honour of his centenary, the symposium will include a panel on Scottish animation, with Dr Nichola Dobson (University of Edinburgh) and Dr Sarah Neely (University of Stirling).

With this Postgraduate Symposium we aim to emphasise the versatile and varied use of animation ranging from the traditional and commercial to the experimental and avant-garde. Looking at the long history of animation from the proto-cinematic to its role in film and expanded cinema, we will explore animation as a facilitator of popular entertainment, personal expression, and formal experimentation. With this open approach to the subject of animation, we welcome papers on proto-cinematic, national, transnational, experimental, television, and new media animation as well as studies of animation artists and industries.

We invite proposals from postgraduate students for 15-20 minute papers. Please send your abstract by* 7* *February 2014* to: Amber Shields and Phil Mann at

(filmstudies-pge /at/ st-andrews.ac.uk) <mailto:(filmstudies-pge /at/ st-andrews.ac.uk)>

 Proposals should include the following:

·      An abstract of max. 200 words.

·      A short biographical note, including your institutional affiliation.

--
Amber Shields
PhD Candidate, Film Studies

Department of Film Studies
University of St Andrews
99 North Street
St. Andrews, KY16 9AD
Scotland, UK

Telephone: +44 (0)7528 376137
Email: (alfs /at/ st-andrews.ac.uk) <mailto:(alfs /at/ st-andrews.ac.uk)>