[ecrea] CFP: My Little Pony: A Transcultural Phenomenon

Sat Jan 18 18:05:13 GMT 2014

My Little Pony: A Transcultural Phenomenon

Saturday 28 June 2014

University of Brighton – Grand Parade

The recent popularity of ‘My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic’ has reignited interest in this well-known franchise of children’s culture. Remaining strongly associated with a series of toys aimed at young female consumers, the reimagined show has attracted positive praise for its style, stories, and characterisation, critical discussion of the constructions of femininity the series promotes, and – unprecedented for an animated series primarily aimed at girls – a large and dedicated adult male fan base. MLPFIM raises a range of issues relating to contemporary children’s television, the blurring of entertainment and advertising, transformations across long-running media franchises, the politics of pink culture, adult appropriation of children’s media, fandom and its relationship with the culture industries.

This one day conference seeks to place the 30 year long ‘My Little Pony’ series within critical, cultural and creative contexts, exploring the brand from a multi-disciplinary range of perspectives. 300 word abstracts are invited, which might include but not be limited by the following perspectives:

· twenty first century children’s media, film and television

· ancillary products and merchandise

· transformations across MLP generations

· the political economy of media franchises

· animation history

· fandom and critical engagements with pleasure

· feminist approaches to children’s toy and television industries

· identity politics of gender, race, class, sexuality and national identity

· nostalgia and autobiography

· collections and collecting

· queer ponies

· authorship

· fantasy and mythology

· convergence culture

· the ethics of children's media

· popular culture and cultural value

· anthropomorphosis and animal studies

· subcultures

Please send abstracts and enquiries to Ewan Kirkland at (e.kirkland /at/ brighton.ac.uk). Deadline 28 May 2014.

http://arts.brighton.ac.uk/research/research-conferences/my-little-pony