[ecrea] CFP: Media and Place

Wed Jan 15 20:05:14 GMT 2014

CALL FOR PAPERS

‘Media and Place’

School of Humanities and Cultural Studies

Faculty of Arts, Environment and Technology

Leeds Metropolitan University

To celebrate the launch of the new ‘Media and Place’ Masters programme, we are pleased to announce our conference on the 11-12th July 2014.

Confirmed Keynote speakers:

Prof Shaun Moores (University of Sunderland); Prof Kevin Hetherington (The Open University); Prof Helen Wheatley (University of Warwick)

Media operate in settings and environments: they exist in place. Some media spaces we occupy feel like home - listening to our favourite radio stations while we drive to work - while others enable virtual travel across vast physical spaces to different geographical locations. Media can escort us in an instant from the glamour of the global city to the minute, quotidian details of life lived at the local. Television’s liveness can gather very different people in the same physical space or draw together disparately located audiences around political events, sports tournaments and ecological disasters. Film makes possible different versions of the same city, multiplied as it filters differently through the eyes of the director to the audience. Media can blur the boundaries between the private and the professional, transform domestic boundaries into global businesses, and offer individual opportunities for public confessionals. New media connect us across continents with friends, loved ones and those we’ve never met. Yet place is always more than a location on a map; it is lived and experienced through repetition such that some places become laden with meanings of belonging and affective attachment. In what ways does place matter to the media? How far do we inhabit or live inside the media we use? Or rather, has the electronic world created a culture of placelessness? This inter-disciplinary conference welcomes researchers and practitioners from media and cultural studies, urban history, post-colonial studies, gender studies, urban sociology, cultural and phenomenological geography, politics, political economy, philosophy, social and cultural theory, cultural policy, anthropology, town planning, architecture, design, visual arts and ecology.

Conference themes

Themes and issues that the conference seeks to cover include (but is not limited to):

1. The cultural representations of land and urbanscapes across time and space;

2. Media and other representations of place and in particular of the North of England;

3. Transitory and marginalised spaces – suburbia, media as navigation, disadvantaged and stigmatised neighbourhoods, urban fringes, places en route;

4. Urban arts and media responses to the economic crisis post 2008, including – issues of cultural activism, resistance and culture-led regeneration;

5. Theories of rural and urban media mindscapes and imaginaries and of media, place and affect;

6. Drama, literature, cinema and television of the North: Kes, East is East, Last of the Summer Wine, The Red Riding trilogy, Wuthering Heights, Haweswater, Fat Friends …..

7. Post-colonial/global city spaces, hybrid and intercultural uses of media in urban and rural places;

8. Guerilla gardening, ecological DIY protest, pop-up urbanism, the emergence of new informal cultural venues and other grassroots interventions in urban and rural environments;

9. Digital technologies and new uses of urban and rural space;

10.Disruption, artistic intervention and subversive tactics (eg in post-communist countries in Eastern and Central Europe);

11.Transport, communication networks as media spaces;

12.Utopian/dystopian places;

13.The reputation of places in austerity times;

14.New media and spaces of protest, conflict and subversion.

15.The places and practices of sporting media (eg. Le Tour de France, the Paralympics, the World Cup);

16.Bottom-up, participatory urban and rural media and cultural policies.

Publication

The conference organisers are liaising with Palgrave MacMillan with a view to collecting selected conference papers together in an edited collection for publication in 2015.

Submission of abstracts

The conference organisers welcome proposals for single papers and panels of up to three papers. Please send short proposals of no more than 300 words to (mediaplaceconf2014 /at/ gmail.com), by 1st February 2014 including a title, abstract, the theme your paper speaks to and your affiliation details.