[ecrea] Creative Citizens Call for Papers

Thu Jan 09 01:05:06 GMT 2014

Creative Citizens Conference

Reminder

 Royal College of Art, London September 18-19 2014.

FFI http://creativecitizens.co.uk/events/

 Call for Papers – closing January 20th 2014

Creative citizens make new things happen in their communities. Their activities are vital to civic life but also to the creative economy, where their contribution mostly goes uncounted. They invent new ways of delivering music, visual art, film and literature. They come together as fans; they make things, sharing space and place.

The conference is the climax of an 20 month multidisciplinary research project, Media, Community and the Creative Citizen which explores the dynamics of creative citizenship in the context of digital media. We ask how social media are affecting the value and sustainability of creative citizenship and, with our community partners around the UK, we experiment with co-created media interventions to enhance networks of creative citizenship in Bristol, Birmingham & London. The research is supported by the AHRC’s Connected Communities programme. Confirmed speakers include Paola Antonelli, Jean Burgess, John Hartley, Geoff Mulgan, and Ian Hargreaves.

We are looking for conference contributions that include themes or topics such as:

Definition of, and critical perspectives on, creative citizenship

Research approaches and methods

Cultural, economic, civic and social values of creative citizenship

Creativity and innovation

Co-production and design

Representation and identity

Inclusion/exclusion

Practices and business models

Role of media literacy and creative skills

Research Ethics

UK and international case studies

The impacts of creative citizenship and its practices: critique, evaluation and measurement

Policy and investment.

We are looking for conference contributions from arts and humanities and social sciences in the form of traditional papers (15 mins) as well as informal poster presentations from early career researchers and PhD students. The conference will have three tracks and several workshops; we will programme two tracks from this call. Please send your abstracts to (creativecitizensproject /at/ gmail.com) by 5pm (GMT) on Monday 20th January 2014. Notifications in March 2014. Hold the date. Booking will be available in Feb 2014.

Creative Citizens: the conference, 2014. Helen Hamlyn Centre, Royal College of Art, Knightsbridge, London, September 18-19, 2014.

www.creativecitizens.co.uk

Professor Jonathan Dovey
Director REACT
http://www.react-hub.org.uk/