Archive for calls, September 2014

[ecrea] CFP: Neoliberal Gender, Neoliberal Sex

Tue Sep 23 10:01:40 GMT 2014

EXTENDED DEADLINE: 7TH NOVEMBER 2014

Assuming Gender would like to invite submissions to our forthcoming special issue: ‘Neoliberal Gender, Neoliberal Sex’.
Neoliberalism has recently come to define a particular object of critical enquiry, especially after the financial crisis of 2008. Considered by some to have superseded terms such as postmodernism and globalisation, neoliberalism is no longer taken as merely an economic ideology adhered to by a rich elite but as a global norm that touches the lives of billions. In this special issue we aim to explore how neoliberalism, as a form of governmental rationality, goes beyond the realm of fiscal conduct and has affected, influenced or moulded the construction of gendered subjectivities, especially in the realm of cultural production. While much has been written about the deployment of neoliberal strategies and techniques as a mode of governance, especially through the lens of Michel Foucault’s concept of ‘governmentality’, less has dealt with its consequences on how these transformations have affected representations of gender and sexuality in popular culture. This special iss
ue aims to add to this growing field of critical enquiry.
In respect to the title, ‘Neoliberal Gender, Neoliberal Sex’, we particularly welcome submissions that address the relationship between practices of cultural production and models of neoliberal rationality/governmentality.

Suggested topics include, but are not limited to, the relationship between gender, sexuality and neoliberalism in:-
•	The aesthetics of austerity
•	Post-feminism
•	Television/Reality TV
•	Radio
•	Cinema
•	Literature
•	Contemporary pop music/video
•	Computer games
•	News media
•	Social media and the internet
•	Artistic practice
•	Sport and fitness
•	Pornography
•	Self-help, Self-motivation
•	Food Culture
•	Charity/Fundraising
•	Comic Books/Graphic Novels

Articles are welcome from academics and graduate students from any academic discipline. We also welcome inter- and multi-disciplinary approaches.

Submissions should follow the Assuming Gender submission guidelines. Deadline for the completed article: Friday, 7th November 2014.

Submissions and enquiries should be sent to the issue editor, Tom Harman, (atgender /at/ cardiff.ac.uk). If you would like to discuss a proposal please contact Tom as soon as possible.