Archive for calls, May 2014

[ecrea] Creative Citizens Conference

Wed May 21 10:20:02 GMT 2014

Creative Citizens: The Conference
18&  19 September 2014
Royal College of Art, London
Who are todayʼs Creative Citizens? What do they do? How are they changing communities? Come and debate new research at the first ever Creative Citizens Conference.
Register for this exciting programme online now
The conference will spotlight the motivations, achievements and the potential of creative citizens. Presenters will argue for the importance of creative citizensʼ contribution to civic life to social capital and to the economy. Panels will look at peer to peer creative activism, creative local networking around environmental issues, hyperlocal publishing, migrant and youth media. Social media have redrawn the map for community media, art and design.

This explosion of local / global communications networks raises urgent new questions about how we understand the value of creative mediation and motivate more of it. If you are interested in planning, participatory media, co-creativity and co-design, DIY creative activism, the civic potential of digital, or the potential for creativity in community development you should be at an event that brings together some of the leading critical voices and analysis from around the world.

The two day event is the climax of one of the AHRCʼs first large Connected Communities projects, ʽMedia Community and the Creative Citizenʼ. Led by Ian Hargreaves, this work explores the dynamics of creative citizenship in the context of digital media. We ask how social media are affecting the value and sustainability of creative citizenship.
As part of London Design Week, we will explore what Creative Citizens add to civic and community life, with keynote speeches from international perspectives including Geoff Mulgan, Chief Executive of Nesta and Paola Antonelli from New Yorkʼs Museum of Modern Art. We will hear from Jean Burgess of Queensland University of Technology as she talks about her ground breaking research on YouTube. John Hartley from the Centre for Culture and Technology at Curtin University, Perth, Western Australia will also be on hand to offer an analytic lead.
We will also be launching a new exhibition at the RCA as part of the event. The Creative Citizens Show will host a new photography commission as well as a range of works in video, graphics, software and publishing, co-produced with our community partners as part of the research process. There will be plenty of opportunities to network and meet other creative citizens, including a drinks reception and a live lounge to meet speakers and continue the debate. This promises to be a field-defining event, establishing new policy frameworks and new research directions.
Come and join us for this exciting programme Register online
Tickets are available for both days or either day, along with reduced rate tickets for PhD students and community partners. We welcome participation from researchers, activists and community organisations. We also have reduced rate accommodation at a nearby hotelhttp://creativecitizens.co.uk/conference/accommodation/

For further information about the conference, including a full list of speakers please visit:
http://creativecitizens.co.uk/conference/