Archive for calls, May 2014

[ecrea] Call for Papers: World War I: Media, Entertainments & Popular Culture Conference

Thu May 01 12:09:36 GMT 2014

World War 1
Media, Entertainments & Popular Culture
Two Day Conference with an Exhibition and Performances
2nd and 3rd July 2015

People’s History Museum, Manchester, UK

Organised by: University of Chester, University of Salford, UCLAN, Manchester Metropolitan University, People’s History Museum.

The scope: this conference aims to bring together scholars from a wide range of disciplines to examine and discuss both contemporary and subsequent accounts, interpretations and uses of the First World War in terms of mass and popular media and entertainments.

We are inviting proposals for papers on any aspect of the Media, Entertainments and Popular Culture during and after the First World War. Possible themes include,

Photography, films, newsreels
WWI celebrities?
Contemporaneous press reportage?
Wartime censorship?
Oppositional/dissenting voices?
Music hall performers?
Wartime images?
The popular press and WWI?
Wartime and cultural memory ?
Popular music
Sports
Pubs and clubs ?
The war in popular fiction?
Cartoons, Posters
Post 1918 popular uses of World War I themes.

Abstracts: Please email a 300-word abstract (stating your name, email address and institutional affiliation) to: (c.hart /at/ chester.ac.uk).

Web: www.ww1.midrash.co.uk  (under construction)

Outputs
A book of selected papers from the conference titled, World War I: Media, Entertainments & Popular Culture. This will be a companion volume to our book World War II and the Media (2014).

A dedicated edition of Media, War & Conflict (Sage Publications).

Exhibition and performances leading up to and during the conference at the People’s History Museum. We hope you can suggest materials (songs, film, photographs) to be included.

Organising Committee
Chris Hart                               (c.hart /at/ chester.ac.uk)
Vera Slavtcheva-Petkova       (v.petkova /at/ chester.ac.uk)
Craig Horner                          (C.Horner /at/ mmu.ac.uk)
Carole O'Reilly                       (c.oreilly /at/ salford.ac.uk)
Jim Aulich                               (J.Aulich /at/ mmu.ac.uk)
Nick Mansfield                        (NMansfield1 /at/ uclan.ac.uk)
Gaynor Bagnall                      (g.bagnall /at/ salford.ac.uk)
Chris Lee                                   (c.lee /at/ salford.ac.uk)

Address for correspondence
Dr Chris Hart
Department of Media
Warrington Campus