Archive for calls, February 2013

[ecrea] CfP: Beyond Time and Space, Orlando, USA 14-16 October 2013

Wed Feb 13 13:42:54 GMT 2013

Please distribute where appropriate the Preliminary Announcement and Call for Papers for the HFM-231 Symposium on “BEYOND TIME AND SPACE” which will be held in Orlando, USA, 14-16 October 2013.

The Call for Papers is also available via the CSO website at: www.cso.nato.int : Home page, scroll down to Upcoming STO Events and click on Call for Papers.

This Research Symposium is designed to evaluate new and emerging technologies, working environments and methods that could break down the tyranny of time and space. The specific goal of this activity is to facilitate a broader understanding of the promise and pitfalls of these technologies and working environments in NATO military settings, with special regard to the human in the system and to the integration of humans and technical subsystems. While research on existing systems and new human-machine systems which could be operational 5 years down the road is welcomed, we especially encourage groundbreaking, discovery oriented research, invention and innovation. Over the horizon scanning and transversal ideas that have a 10 or 20 years horizon are being solicited.

The symposium should lead to identification of areas in which coordinated research efforts are required to expand an understanding of these technologies, their effectiveness, the potential risks, and the potential benefits of new ways to work and collaborate. It should also inform the NATO Military Committee, its COMEDS and the CNAD about current options for NATO operations.

The contributions for the symposium could address the following topics:

Telemedicine. The ability to use advanced information and medical technologies to deliver preventive and operational medical care worldwide is still in its infancy. Information technology in the commercial sector is leaping ahead of military medical concepts of operations. The questions are how we will use these systems in the future. Topics in this area include: (1) Distance learning to support both clinical training, just in time training in the field, and novel techniques for training; (2) Patient tracking to support the continuity of care from the battlefield to the top civilian hospitals and veterans care facilities; (3) Remote treatment of patients to include self-care, combat medic, field surgical teams, and robotics.

Remote Cooperation and Warfare. The effectiveness of being able to cooperate even over distances and strike our enemies to protect our interests in denied areas has been demonstrated repeatedly over the last few decades. This capability has both benefits and costs. Some of the benefits include a decreased risk to our military personnel and a decreased decision to target timeframe. The costs include financial costs for new systems and capabilities, the psychological costs of dissociating warfighters from the battlefield, and unintended collateral damage. Topics in this area include: (1) Autonomy and Autonomous Systems: (2) Unmanned Systems: (3) Robotics for both military and medical operations; (4) Cooperative Automation (5) Decision making in real time (i.e., knowledge extraction, naturalistic interfaces, etc.); (6) Novel training systems and methods, and; (7) Implications for work-rest life balance.

From Data to Meaning in Large Data Spaces. The ability to collect, analyse, organize and then extract meaning from large amounts of data is a challenge for the military as well as the private and commercial sector. The amount of data available to the individual today is remarkable. How do we harness this information and make it actionable and relevant for the warfighter? Topics in this area include: (1) Methods and techniques for capturing and storing data; (2) Extracting data to support human performance and medical advances; (3) Application of Systems Biological approaches to medicine, human performance and systems design; (4) Identification and application of networks (social, technical, political, etc..) in a military construct; (5) Naturalistic Interfaces and macroscopes to large data spaces.

Virtual Life. We all are living today in both the real and virtual worlds. We are all immersed in cyberspace through the use of social media, internet search engines, training simulators, online courses, or immersive new worlds like Real Life. This co-mingling of the real and virtual worlds has appeared in the last decade. How will the rapid advances in these technologies shape our world 10 years from now? Topics in this area include: (1) Cyber networks and their role in warfare, social engineering, and geo political events (i.e., disaster relief, revolution and protests, etc.); (2) Telework and its influence on social systems, productivity, infrastructure, and policy; (3) Cultural Impacts of technology both inside the military and around the world; (4) Vulnerabilities related to the use and misuse of information technology, and: (5) Use of virtual worlds for simulation, mission rehearsal, and live virtual constructive (LVC) training and supporting technologies (i.e. intelligent tutors, automated performance assessment, etc.).

Planning and Forecasting for future times and spaces. Our ability to plan and forecast events at the micro and macro level are improving through the advancement of science, lessons learned, and technological improvements. In the future our ability to predict both military as well as humanitarian events across the globe will be essential to the security of our nations. Topics in this area include: (1) Modelling and simulation in support of planning and forecasting events; (2) Medical planning and forecasting for humanitarian and military operations that considers both NATO and non-NATO assets and personnel; (3) Logistical planning on the micro and macro level; and (4) Human Systems Integration related challenges, methods and techniques in this area.

DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT OF ABSTRACTS: 6 March 2013

US Authors have to submit their abstract two weeks ahead to the NATO STO U.S. National Coordinator

Thank you for your co-operation,

Mrs. Danielle PELAT

HFM Panel Assistant

Science & Technology Organization

Collaboration Support Office

BP 25

92201 Neuilly sur Seine - France
Tel:  +33  1 55 61 22 62
Fax: +33  1 55 61 96 31
Email: (danielle.pelat /at/ cso.nato.int)