Archive for calls, April 2011

[ecrea] CFP: Arts and Social Justice: The Media Connection

Mon Apr 04 10:09:22 GMT 2011

*Pre-Conference Announcement*

* *

*_Arts and Social Justice: The Media Connection _*

* *

*20-23 October 2011 *

*University of Nicosia**, Cyprus***

We are proud to announce that the *Department of Communications in conjunction with the Mass Media and Communications Institute at The University of Nicosia* will be hosting The 2011 Arts and Social Justice Conference which will be held from *20-23 October 2011* at the *University of Nicosia*. The title of this year’s conference is *Arts and Social Justice: The Media Connection*. The ASJ is a well established international conference based on arts, expression and citizen activism and its various mediated forms of representation. ASJ has ties to the World Social Forum, also held annually at the same time as the Davos Economic Forum and conceived as one of its counterweights. In 2010, the ASJ conference was held in Durban, South Africa, with such luminaries as Albie Sachs and Rajmohan Ghandi among the plenary speakers and key presentations from William Cleveland, Mike van Graan, and Angelina Kamba.

At the 2011 conference, we expect about 200 - 300 delegates from all over the world – artists, academics, activists. Special emphasis will be put on the media and how they can and do influence societies at large to take on greater responsibilities in making this world a just place to live. There will be three strands:

1. Arts, Media and Advocacy

2. Media, Culture and Identity

3. Arts, Cultural Diversity and Conflict Resolution

Especially the first strand will give the opportunity to analyze citizen media production and how, as in the recent cases of Tunisia, Egypt and other Arab countries, this has contributed to giving a forceful voice to formerly disenfranchised groups. We have approached a number of important global figures and while the negotiations are still continuing, we will have a number of celebrities, important film directors and artists such as poets Stephanos Stephanides and Neshe Yashin as part of the programme.

We welcome your interest and would encourage you to enroll in the conference and actively participate in it. There are several ways of doing that. A dedicated website will be up within the next few weeks where you will find the latest information and updates. Also, a conference publication will be published. In the meantime, please contact the organisers listed below for further information and suggestions

We look forward to welcoming you at the University of Nicosia!

Dr Mike Hajimichael ((hajimichael.m /at/ unic.ac.cy) <mailto:(hajimichael.m /at/ unic.ac.cy)>), Dr Holger Briel ((briel.h /at/ unic.ac.cy) <mailto:(briel.h /at/ unic.ac.cy)>)

University of Nicosia, Makedonitissa, Nicosia, Cyprus. Tel.:00 357 22 352563 Fax 00 357 22 353682