Archive for calls, October 2010

[ecrea] CfP: Riding the Korean Digital Wave - Special Issue of Media Int'l Australia

Tue Oct 12 14:34:07 GMT 2010

>**** Call for Papers:
>
>Media International Australia no. 141 (November 2011) ****
>
>Riding the Korean Digital Wave
>
>Theme Editors: Brian Yecies, Ben Goldsmith and Kwang-Suk Lee
>
>South Korea has been a world leader in a range
>of online, digital and creative fields,
>including Digital Multimedia Broadband (DMB),
>web 2.0 and other new media, broadband and IT
>technologies. Korean institutions have made
>innovations in cyber activism and citizen
>journalism (Ohmynews) and in social networking
>(<http://Cyworld.com>Cyworld.com). And, with the
>support of the Seoul City government, a Digital
>Media City (D-City) has been built in Seoul as a
>base for research and development for companies
>and institutions working in digital media
>production, broadcasting, gaming, animation,
>software development and e-education.
>
>Yet, despite these ground-breaking developments
>and innovations, South Korea is less prominent
>in scholarly discussion than neighbouring China
>and Japan. Moreover, since 2008, Ohmynews has
>lost power as a leader of online opinion, while
>creators of Cyworld mini-homepages have begun
>leaving their walled garden for the open
>pastures of new web 2.0 cultures such as Twitter
>and iphone. The Seoul D-City project has also
>begun losing its initial lustre due to a
>downturn in property values, a domestic
>construction slump and increased government intervention.
>
>We seek contributions from a wide range of
>disciplinary areas that will offer new critical
>insights on these fundamental changes.
>
>This special issue of MIA (for further info:
><http://www.emsah.uq.edu.au/mia/forthcoming.html>http://www.emsah.uq.edu.au/mia/forthcoming.html)
>aims to provide new perspectives on how South
>Koreas digital media consumption and cultural
>production flows are changing rapidly and
>contributing to the power dynamics of creative
>and cultural industries in Asia and across the globe.
>
>We invite contributions on the following topics,
>and welcome additional proposals:
>    * revitalised Hallyu (Korean wave)
>    * Web 2.0
>    * gaming culture
>    * cyber activism
>    * online/civic journalism
>    * digital media/avant-garde arts
>    * social networking culture
>    * DMB and other micro and mobile media innovations and subcultures
>    * wireless and broadband developments
>    * digital cinema and its impact on the
> domestic film industry, and international co-productions
>    * government policy.
>
>  Join us in critically evaluating the changing
> moments of Korean digital media culture and
> policy as we look to the future of the so-called digital wave in the region.
>
>Abstracts of no more than 500 words should be
>sent to Brian Yecies (Brian_Yecies@
><http://uow.edu.au>uow.edu.au) by 15 November
>2010; he will then advise whether a full paper
>is required for the reviewing process.
>
>Full contributions of 4,0005,000 words, in MIA
>style, will be required by 1 March 2011.

> [...]

New Book:
Trans-Reality Television
The Transgression of Reality, Genre, Politics, and Audience.
Lexington. (Sofie Van Bauwel & Nico Carpentier eds.)
http://www.lexingtonbooks.com/Catalog/SingleBook.shtml?command=Search&db=^DB/CATALOG.db&eqSKUdata=0739131885