[ecrea] CFP: Politics and the Corpse

Fri Nov 06 20:57:52 GMT 2009

CFP: We invite submissions of abstracts for "Politics and the Corpse," a special seminar proposed for the annual meeting of the American Comparative Literature Association (ACLA) in New Orleans, LA, April 1-4, 2010.

The traditional sense of politics links up the functioning of the polis with the living bodies that people it. But what is the relation between politics and the dead body? How does the corpse inform the political sphere? How does politics give meaning to the corpse? To what extent is the labor of mourning bound up with political concerns? And what is the difference between the political meaning of a dead body and its "human" significance? This seminar proposes to investigate the relation between politics and the corpse from a variety of theoretical perspectives and in a range of contexts, including political assassinations, conspiracy theories, natural disasters, memorials, genocide, and war. Though the subject matter is broad, we hope to encourage a conversation that draws from a variety of theoretical perspectives to examine the manner in which politics inflects our understanding of the dead body, and the way that death informs our sense of the political.

Abstracts may not exceed 250 words.

Deadline for paper proposals, November 13, 2009.

To submit a paper proposal for this panel, you must submit it to the general conference site, designating this particular panel. You can find the online submission materials at this URL: http://www.acla.org/acla2010/?page_id=6.

For more information on this panel, contact Jennifer Ballengee ((jballeng /at/ towson.edu)<mailto:(jballeng /at/ towson.edu)>) or David Kelman ((dkelman /at/ fullerton.edu)<mailto:(dkelman /at/ fullerton.edu)>).