[ecrea] CFP: Digital Cultures ITP Special Issue

Thu Oct 01 20:22:22 GMT 2009

Special Issue of Information Technology & People on ?Digital Culture: New Forms of Living and Organising?

Steve Sawyer, Syracuse University - (ssawyer /at/ syr.edu)
Ben Light, University of Salford (B.Light /at/ salford.ac.uk)
Sian Lincoln, Liverpool John Moores University - (S.Lincoln /at/ ljmu.ac.uk)
Marie Griffiths, University of Salford - (M.Griffiths /at/ salford.ac.uk)

Focus:
The focus of this special issue is to showcase work which increases our knowledge regarding the potential reshaping of the boundaries and structures of existing social organization, and the altering of the ways in which people learn to experience life.

We pursue this special issue to provide a forum for scholarship that explicitly engages the increasingly permeable boundary of work and non-work spheres of our lives. We know that even as access to digital technologies continues to vary based on age, gender, nationality, residence, ethnicity, work, and other key aspects of society, it is clear their presence and uses are increasingly important features of contemporary life. Where historically one might argue that digital technologies have had more influence in work organizations it appears that in we are witnessing a shift in this order of things. The uptake of digital technology into our domestic lives is, increasingly, shaping our experiences at work. Moreover, digital technologies are becoming more pervasive and varied across both work and non-work aspects of our lives. These digital technologies are merging into physical infrastructures ? at home, in transport, at work and school, and even walking ?alone? while texting. Therefore, beyond the massive levels of interest in reshaping what it means to be social ? as manifested in the number of people using these digital technologies ? lie questions of their roles in supporting new forms of organizing and their effects upon our everyday experiences.

The blurring of boundaries between work and non-work further engenders discussion on the blurring boundaries between what is the ?public? and what is ?private.? Indeed, in the wake of reality television shows, national identity card schemes, increased social media usage and the like, publicity appears to be the order of the day. What does this mean for those living and working in environments where there is seemingly little room for privacy (privacy, of course, not necessarily always being a good thing)?

Contributions:
We welcome the submission of papers of empirical and conceptual nature, from a variety of research paradigms, that employ diverse methods, and that use a wide range of forms of evidence. We are particularly interested in those papers which focus on settings, phenomena and conceptual issues which help to illuminate the blurring boundaries of work and not-work, and of the blurring boundaries between public and private spaces/times. Submitted papers that highlight how digital technologies are moving into work from non-work settings, and research that illuminates new forms of digitally-enhanced forms of organizing are welcomed. As a means to help spur interest and to provide examples, we imagine some possible topics for papers might be:

Internet (and digitally-) enabled organisational forms
Media, sport and work interactions
Publicity and privacy considerations in a social network saturated world
The social consequences of wireless technology across boundaries
The ethics of digital-technology uses in everyday work/life
Social media uses at, for and about work
New forms of working and new types of digitally-supported work
Social media use and changing family lifestyles/arrangements
Privacy, digital media and health systems
Conflict and compromise in social networks
Physical vs. virtual interaction at Work
The commodification of community

Authors of papers originally presented at either the 2008 and 2009 Digital Cultures workshops (held at the University of Salford) are encouraged to participate in this special issue. However, we seek with this special issue to reach out to other authors who are pursuing research and writing in this intellectual space.

Instructions for authors:

·Initial manuscripts should be around 7000 words in length, inclusive.
·Submitted manuscripts must include a title page that includes the title of the paper, full name and complete addresses of all authors that included affiliation(s), telephone number(s), and e-mail address(es). Where appropriate, please nominate an author for correspondence. Acknowledgements and indications of previous presentation or publication of parts of the submitted manuscript should be clearly denoted. ·The first page of the manuscript should include the title and a 300-word abstract that follows the structured abstract format of the journal (please see authors guidance at <http://info.emeraldinsight.com/products/journals/author_guidelines.htm?id=itp>http://info.emeraldinsight.com/products/journals/author_guidelines.htm?id=itp ·Manuscripts should contain original material and not be previously published, or currently submitted for consideration, elsewhere. ·Manuscripts should be submitted to the journal?s review system where you should be sure to select special issue from submission-type list (at www.itandpeople.org <http://www.itandpeople.org><http://www.itandpeople.org> ). ·While not required, we encourage prospective authors to contact one of the special issue?s guest editors with their ideas in draft form for comment.

All submissions will be screened by the special issue editors prior to review. Those seen as fitting the scope and aim of the special issue will then be subject to double blind review as is normal for the journal.

Timeline:

Deadline for papers - February 2010
Reviews returned - May 2010
Revised papers submitted - August  2010