[ecrea] Electronic Citizenship from a Comparative Perspective, PSA 2010 Conference

Thu Sep 24 16:15:10 GMT 2009

 Electronic Citizenship from a Comparative Perspective

Citizenship studies has become an established multidisciplinary arena of academic study in the last 20 years. The problem with the contemporary debate on citizenship, however, is that it tends to ignore the role of technology in shaping the experience of citizenship. Contemporary ICTs, and especially the internet, create new and different opportunities for practising citizenship. Papers might address questions such as:
   * How should we rethink theories of citizenship in the light of new ICTs?
   * What kind of new citizenship practices are introduced by the ICTs?
* How do ICTs affect existing citizenship practices such as voting and other ways of political participation, taxpaying and military service? * Does the Internet have certain features to support any of the recent trends in citizenship?
   * How does the Internet contribute to denationalization of citizenship?
* What are the implications of ICTs for citizenship as status, as rights and obligations and as identity? * How do electronic citizenship practices vary across different cultural and institutional contexts? * To what extent cultural citizenship based on recognition of differences (ethnic, religious, gender) is nurtured with the use of ICTs? * How can we link the literatures on citizenship studies and electronic democracy?

However these questions are indicative and not meant to preclude other papers that fit within the general theme. We already have one paper on this theme with the following provisional title and so hope to run a panel with two or three additional papers:

Rabia Karakaya Polat and Lawrence Pratchett, Citizenship in the Age of the Internet: A Comparative Analysis of Britain and Turkey

Please submit a title and abstract to <mailto:(rabia /at/ isikun.edu.tr)>(rabia /at/ isikun.edu.tr), ideally by Oct 9 at the latest so that we can build a proposal for a panel.

///