[ecrea] ECREA conference REMINDER: 'Digital Media Technologies Revisited' - Conference Abstracts Deadline

Thu May 28 22:01:13 GMT 2009

REMINDER:
Deadline for abstract submissions ends on May 31st.

> Call for Papers:
>
> Digital Media Technologies Revisited: Theorising social relations,
> interactions and communication
>

> A two-day conference co-organised by the
>
> ECREA Digital Culture & Communication (DCC) section,
>
> the DGPuK Computer-Mediated Communication (CMC) section and
>
> the DGPuK Media Sociology (MS) section
>
> with support from the Centre for Material Digital Culture (DMDC),
> University of Sussex, UK
>
> and the COST 298: Participation in the Broadband Society network
>

> Place: University of the Arts, Berlin, Germany
>
> Dates: Nov. 20-21, 2009
>

> Topic:
>
> This two-day conference on ?Digital Technologies Revisited? aims to
> understand contemporary developments in digital media and digital
> media theory by looking backwards as well as forwards. We set out
> to explore an in-between time: a time, when much of the hype
> concerning digital media has died down, much research material has
> been gathered and analyzed and quite a bit about the possibilities
> and limitations of digital media (especially in comparison to older
> media forms) has been understood.
>
> Far from a communication revolution, the media landscape has
> nonetheless changed substantially in recent years. In fact, we have
> undergone a process of diffusion and appropriation: digital media
> have become an important and ever-increasing part of our everyday
> lives. They suffuse our communication, information and
> entertainment spheres. Not surprisingly, the perceived connection
> between the internet and many areas of social life, from work to
> play, has steadily increased in recent years. However, even as
> digital media become pervasive, ubiquitous, common and mundane,
> innovation continues to become an integral characteristic of
> digital media forms, the proliferation of which is challenging to map.
>
> We would therefore like to return to earlier models and theories
> that attempted to explain new (digital) media in its ?first wave?
> forms. Additionally, we would like to address the question of what
> kind of alterations and additions can be used to adapt existing
> models and theories for current purposes (e.g. mediated person-to-
> person communication; para-social interactions with virtual agents;
> pseudo-social interactions with intelligent machines, etc.).
>
> The range of models and theories that can be used, re-visited, or
> adapted is wide (i.e. traditional communication studies models,
> cultural studies theories, sociology and others). We want to
> encourage papers that explore tensions between older and new
> approaches and older and newer ?new media? formations. Where has
> there been movement, where not, and are there in fact new theories
> emerging?
>
> The social world sits at the heart of these diverse concerns.
> Social relations, interactions and communication are at the heart
> of our questions. Within this focus, the possible range of theories
> [...]

__________

Prof. Dr. Maren Hartmann
Juniorprofessur Kommunikationssoziologie/ Assistant Professor
Sociology of Communication
Gesellschafts- und Wirtschaftskommunikation/ Communication for
Business and Society
Universität der Künste/ University of the Arts
Mierendorffstraße 30
D-10589 Berlin
Tel./Phone: +49 30 3185 2943
Email: (hartmann /at/ udk-berlin.de)